1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not being taken seriously?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TonyR, Aug 1, 2010.

1. TonyR

TonyR Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This has been bothering me a lot lately, and I am pretty sure this has been a recent change (6 months span), but people just don’t treat me seriously anymore. I used to be treated seriously, but I was also 220 lbs with a mustache. It’s like people just treat me like I am this stupid “kid” if that’s the proper way of going about this, even if the person is just like one or two years older. But it bugged me a lot yesterday the most when a customer (I work at a store) was asking for help but then completely ignore me after I asked her what did she needed, and she went to the older co-worker (like 60 years old, but equal position). Then my co-worker said I could help her, and then I went in the aisle with her to find the thing. Then she was like “It’s not here… blah blah” So I went in the other aisle with her directing where the merchandise was, after I was helping hold what she wanted. Then she went like “I need a tall man to help me,” to a customer, because he could reach it before I could or something (I could reach it). So I just gave what I was holding to her, and walked away before the customer helped her out.

Then today bugged me even more I was talking to a co-worker (from another department), and then my other coworker told him to go away from me so I could work. I think he was sarcastic somewhat, but still he didn’t have to say that, so I was like to him, “I am still getting my job done“. So my other co-worker was like, “So now you own him” or something like that., and then they went off chatting. Then before that a gay worker of mine told me, “You don’t do anything right” when I trying to put a stack of paper together on the wall, and one fell, with a smile.

I am just getting annoyed by this all, and I have no idea why mostly everyone act like this towards to me. Ranging from too young for dating, then too ‘ you don’t understand’ and dumbing down the whole conversation.

How do I get treated more seriously??? Like a way an adult should be, since I did turned 18 months ago. And I am working with 18-21 year olds in most positions, but it’s like this with everyone. The ones that do treat me seriously though are the ones I worked with the longest, and they know my work ethic. But it’s like the first impression of me as someone who doesn’t even know what color the sky is.

I don’t think it ever has gone this bad until now though, it’s like I am being treated in third person most of the time. But the only benefit is though, I guess people get more protective over me, even though that’s not a true benefit since I am independent. I am not even changing my personality….

It’s just really annoying.