1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SeaRobin, Aug 2, 2010.

1. SeaRobin

In the last year, I realized why I didn't feel like the label 'gay' or 'lesbian' didn't fit. I realized that it had nothing to do with who I like, but who I am; I realized that I am genderqueer. For some this means that they are practically trans, just not quite enough to feel fully comfortable living as the other sex. Some others are just girls who don't want to be housewives or guys who don't like sports. (That was supposed to be stereotypical). For me, it means that when I had short hair I loved being perceived as a guy. It means that sometimes I will, without noticing, say that I am my sisters or brothers brother instead of sister. I am really excited that my friend has found a binder for me. I get uncomfortable when my femaleness is emphasized by other people. Wearing dresses, heels, and make up make me feel like I am in drag, much more so than a fake moustache.
    I used to subscribe to societies ideas about gender. It tells us that there are only two genders; if you are not one, you must be the other. You can only be female, or male (or MTF and FTM for the more open minded). However, I started thinking about it and these designations do not fit me, nor so they fit most people.
    How many of you identify as genderqueer? How many people do you think would, if presented with the idea? What are your opinions on this?

2. Absentminded

I definitely identify as genderqueer. I don't particularly like society's norm for a female, and I know I'm female, but I wouldn't mind having the image of a guy, but still be a girl, if that makes sense. I'm not bothered when people think I'm a guy, I actually quite like it.

3. xCrazyInsanity

Though i identify as male, i understand a lot of what you said. Meh, IMO live your life how you're happy, do what you need to to be comfortable with your body (within reason... i draw the line at cutting LIMBS off).

not a good example of 'general population', but i don't give a crap if you don't identify outside male/female binary. it's cool to me.

4. Apocalypte

GQ is probably the most accurate term for my gender identity - though I rarely use the term. I do think I'm very much male-brained, but I also like my very feminine body, curves, female sexual response and all of that. I present relatively masculine - I don't wear makeup, skirts or heels, I've had short hair for a long time, and I tend to get "sir"-d about once a week on average.

To be perfectly honest, I embrace the shades of grey :slight_smile: