1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommate and Costs and Stuff!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostDog, Aug 2, 2010.

1. GhostDog

Okay, this isn't at all LGBT related, but I'm not sure where else to ask this! Some of you have actual life experience, so I was hoping I could get some advice. <3

So, I am moving in with a roommate this Friday. We do each pay our own half of the rent separately to the apartment people, which is good. But roommate mentioned that, at a previous place she lived, she informed the utility company she was moving out and yet the utilities didn't get turned off for 2-3 months after she left (so whoever lived there next got "free" utilities for a couple months). So now she has to pay a large deposit any time she wants to start a new account because she refused to pay the $500 they claim she owes them for the time she wasn't living there. So, she requested that I set up the account in my name and she'll just pay me half of it every month.

Is that a normal way to do things? It kind of tripped some of my alarm bells; I've watched Judge Judy. >:| I really want to give her benefit of the doubt, though, and I don't want to be like "lol hey, you know how you thought you'd have a roommate this year? Well nvm, because of your utilities story!" But the situation seems a little... off to me somehow.

Is there a graceful way to handle this? Should I ask that she sign a written agreement saying that, yes, even though the account is in my name, she has to pay half? Do I have to go through a lawyer for that, or get a witness to sign it, or whatever? I'm not sure how to do that that'd make it all nice and shiny and legal in case shit happens. I don't want to think that she'd flake out on me, but I know friendships can go horribly awry once money is involved. And I definitely wouldn't want it to bite me in the ass.

Any thoughts or advice on the situation are much appreciated. <3

2. Walolas

I would say tell her your unsure but you are willing to do so IF you and her sign a document saying she will pay half for as long as she lives with you and you have 2 to 3 witnesses sign at the same time. Preferably a friend from each person.

3. EWU2012

When I moved into my new place with my 3 roommates only one person could be on the electric/sewer/garbage bill so I went ahead and put it in my name. I did it because I trust them and it will also help out my credit over time. We didn't sign anything to make it documented but in your situation I would suggest it with her history. And yes you should have a few witnesses for that extra support incase anything happened.

4. olides84

Yes, it is normal for one person to have the utilities in their name. So don't worry about that. If this person is your friend and now a roommate, a little trust will go a long way. I mean, they will have a key to the place that holds all your stuff. As a compromise, maybe there is something else (like Internet) that she could take the lead on paying.

I think this idea of getting her to sign something is a bit over the top, but if you want to do it then just write it down on a piece of paper that you agree to split costs of utilities 50/50 and each of you sign it. Bang, a contract! No need for witnesses or fancy legal forms or whatever.

5. GhostDog

Oh okay! I wasn't aware one person doing the utilities was normal. I've never done this before. And she did say that in a month or so, she'd pay the initial cost to get us cable internet and we'd split it from then on.

Thanks for the advice folks! =D I feel a lot better about the situation.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would draw up a contract and have your roomie sign it, have it state that the utilities are in your name and that she is responsilbe for paying half, and if she doesn't pay up keep the bills. All you need is a paper trail if you ever need to go that Judge Judy Rout

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live with 3 other guys. We have cable, electricity, and heat. I handle the cable bill, one handles electricity, and the other handles heat. We have a joint account at bank of america and we all put money into that account every few months. All bills get paid from that account. Relying on people to hand money over in a timely mannor is a hard thing to do, so this way we don't have to bother with it. We put in 200 dollars each every couple of months and when it runs out we do it again. That way when we pay bills, no one has to ask anyone about it and everyone's already putting in an equal share!

Speaking of which, you reminded me, I gotta pay my cable bill lol.

8. GhostDog

I set up the account today, and they asked me if I wanted to add anyone else to the account. So I called roommate, who said that'd be cool, so either of us could take care of the bills. So we'll do that, and having both of our names on the account so we're both liable made me feel a lot better about the situation. =D

9. titaniumCloset

Glad that it worked out that you could have two people on it. However, for future reference it is very normal to have one person to electricity, one person do cable/internet and one person do trash/recycling or something like that, then you just split it up and pay each other whatever you owe. I did that with a house of 5 people and we just had a white board where you would write up how much each person owes and when they pay you, you and they erase it. It worked very well :slight_smile:

10. GhostDog

Good to know! I just didn't know what went on normally. I've never done this whole "bills" thing, hehe. Thanks much everyone!