1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its freshman year and your gonna be here for the next 4 years, time to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Smiley1123

Yeah, I'm a Taylor Swift fan :slight_smile:

So...I have decided that I wasn't straight during 6th grade...decided I had hardly any interest in girls by the end of 7th grade and here I am now going to 9th grade. I now have the "label" of lesbian. Anyway so I'm starting freshman year in about a month and I am now pretty much knowing that I am 5-6 on the kinsey scale I feel like I'm pretty ready to come out. I go to a private school in NYC and feel like the kids are pretty liberal. We have a GSA and I don't hear too many "that's so gay"s. I was wondering if this would be a good time to start coming out. And if I do how would people recommend it? I was thinking of telling some of my "friends" who have big mouths, since I am not brave enough to make an "announcement" or anything. What do you guys think? Thanks! (*hug*)

PS: how does everyone feel about coming out via FB "interested in" status?

#1 Smiley1123, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. St. Jimmy

I'll just comment on the PS...unless MOST of your friends already know, I would never put it on facebook. That could just be me, but I definitely don't think that's the way to come out

3. ANightDude

If you're ready to come out, then by all means do so. I came out at the end of freshmen year. Don't hold back, if you think you can do it, then do it!! :grin:

Actually, quite a few people do come on facebook. People come on here a lot telling stories as to how they do. It's a different way to come out, sure, but it's kinda cool. :slight_smile:

4. Jeremy

I put mine one FB. lol No one's commented though. That's a good thing... I think. lol :grin:

Yeah, if your city's more liberal, that's awesome! Hopefully all will go well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. i need help

i changed my fb status to "is gay" for 3 day before i changed it...so it was ok for me if you are ok with it and are going to school and making a fresh start with people you dont know...just act like it doesnt mean anything just go into it like its no big deal and like everyone already knows...just a thought....

6. xequar

If you're just heading off to university, don't even bother with "coming out". Just BE out. Show up on day one and just be out. No need to even make a production of telling people. Just BE. People will figure it out, and you can confirm it for those that actually need to ask.

About three-quarters of the trick to university is acting like you own the joint. Another 20 percent is meeting cool people and making good lifelong friends. Only about five percent of the experience is the actual work.

7. Smiley1123

Sorry, the thing that I forgot to mention in my post is that its a high school not a uni and my school is K-12 and I have been here for a very long time. Most of the kids at school already know who I am. In college I think I am going to just be out (because from my predictions I will be going to a school in a large city.)

Now I know that this a lot to think through and I still have a month to think about it but I keep thinking about the negatives.

1) I have an uber big crush on a girl, like OBSESSIVE! I don't want her to know...I don't know why I just don't. (Or rather I think she already knows but I just think that would be mega awkward if she talked to me about it once I confirmed it...sorry if that doesn't make sense)

2) Having some deeply Christian friends that I really don't want to lose

3) More that I cant think of right now

Anyway, while I truly am feeling like I want to come out those 2+ little things are making me cringe.

Thanks again for all the help, any more help would be greatly appreciated too :slight_smile:

8. TroubledRyan

Well you come out when you are good and ready. Its pretty awesome when you do come out to!
    I picked 9th grade as well, and i think it was the perfect time.
    As for heavy christian friends, i only have one and she was so sooo understanding, she said that people are the way they are for a reason nd we becam alot closer.