1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bvtsjm116, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Well, anyways I was talking to my mom about me being depressed a bit... since its many things I told her there was one thing I didn't want to tell her. My other reasons were not very big so she keeps thinking its just hormones (which it partially is) but anyways she told me how she would never judge me and no matter how weird it was she would love me no matter what and if I ever tell her she'll love me the same or so... I dunno if I should tell her its cause I am questioning my sexuality? (and I have a crush on this guy) So should I maybe tell her or... I dunno if I should... just suggestions please. Thanks. ^^

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

She sounds pretty open-minded and accepting of whats bothering you and what it may be.I'd tell her about you and how your still questioning it yourself.

3. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Probably cause I'm close to her. But I dunno if she'd be accepting of it. I don't see the big deal with being gay--- probably cause I am. I don't see how parents would like disown there kids... I dunno. I might have to if I can't keep it in any longer...

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I don't see why they would either!Well I know being close with my mom made it a whole lot easier to come out to her and for her to accept it.I hope it works out for ya(*hug*)

5. SpikySpice

Well, if you are questionign your sexuality then dont coem out yetif you are unsure, cuz you wont have a chance to take yoru words back

But Im sure she gives you a green light, she is encouraging you to tel her the truth, it is a good sign becuz she'll be your supporter

but you need to know fo rsure that you are gay bi str8, ect

Of course parenst wont reject their kids whoever they become, they still love them, and your mom loves you, Im sure

6. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    From what you're saying it could be that your mum suspects already and is giving you the go ahead to tell her. If you're honest with her and tell her that you're still questioning your sexuality, she may give you the support you need at this difficult time. We need our parents on side when coming out - sounds like she'll be on your side. It's up to you what you decide but if she's going to be on your side, why "suffer" for ages until you tell her - it's better sonner rather than later. :thumbsup:

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It sounds to me like your mom may already know and is just letting you know that she will love you no matter what. I think she'll be fine. Just tell her. A huge weight will be lifted from your shoulders.

8. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Well, I don't know if she'd know 'cause really theres not much proof... =/ I think I'm pretty straight acting. Theres only one minor thing I won't say here :wink: But maybe she does... I don't wanna tell her yet though but I'm sorta tempted to. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell her in person though.

Basically tell her I'm questioning cause I think it'd feel better if she knew...

Well, I don't know much about it, but my uncle who is gay... I think my grandparents like disowned him for a long time... but I guess everything is better now cause him and his 'boyfriend' (they've been together like 10 years...) come to the family events...

9. I think it would be alright if you did tell her. I can't really say you should, because naturally only you know if you should. If you do decide just say that you are unsure at the moment and don't really know which way it'll end up. She sounds like a decent open minded person and if ever you do feel the need to tell her it sounds like she's hinting that you can.

10. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Oh God... I think she might have this as one of the things she suspects T_T I shouldn't have said anything about being depressed to her...

11. well if its out there, it's better than you being depressed isnt it?

12. xxAngelOnFirexx

go for it. you'd feel much better. i hate hiding things. getting it out on the open may be a load off your shoulders no matter how she reacts. cause at least then she'd know and that would be one less thing to hide from her.

13. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

Well, I could have told her... but I chickened out and I'll feel awkward around her forever if I tell ><

14. It's alright, you don't have to do it until you're ready. You shouldn't risk feeling awkward if you dont want to

15. Bryan

This happened to me like 10 times before I finally told my mom, it is ok, it is no easy thing to do. The one thing I will say is coming out is no easy task (though it can be very rewarding), it is something that you shouldnt do unless you are ready, if you arent, you may want to see a psychiatrist, if you are, go ahead and tell her, your mom sounds like the accepting type. Anyway, good luck with this all and just know everyone at EC is here for you (&&&)
    -Bryan

16. Zec24

You may feel awkward. I did when I first came home to see my parents (I came out by letter b/c I live 12 hours away and don't go home much). I will say this though, depending on your mother, will determine how your coming out goes. I know it was mentioned earlier that you shouldn't come out if you aren't sure, but sometimes thats not true. I wasn't 100% sure when I came out to my parents and I told them I was still questioning. Now my parents took this as a sign that there is still hope I'm not gay and that I could pick the normal lifestyle anyday now. We certainly do not talk about the topic anymore, just that once when I was home for Christmas this past year.

Now, I realize this seems that coming out to my parents was a bad idea, but I never like hiding things from my parents and i really respect their advice so I needed to come out to them for me, my sanity. Overall, I'd say it was a good decision, at least they know where I stand, and I know where they stand. But I guess you have to do what's comfortable for you.

17. young92

i agree with everyone else. make sure you're ready completely. don't tell her until you know for sure. she sound really nice though, she'll probably be okay with it