1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by netlord80, Sep 18, 2007.

1. netlord80

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

I find myself in such unfamiliar waters that I really don't know what to do. There are only a few people that know about my orientation at this point. My ex (Female and we are still very close) and one friend are the only ones that know at this point. It was actually my ex that helped me to come to the level of acceptance within myself that I have. She was extremely supportive about this and still is.

I feel torn right now though. Part of me wants to just come out to the world and get it over with. Another part of me is terrified of people finding out. Being bi, I don't feel like anyone could truely accept me for who I am. I worry about the stigma of "being on the fence" and such.

I think this has come up now because there is this guy that works at a store near me that I am very attracted to. I am terrified of asking him out though. I don't really know how I know this, but I am sure that he is gay. It's pretty pathetic, but he works the overnight shift, so i keep coming up with things that I have to get in the middle of the night so I can go there. I end up there nearly every night now.

I just don't want to continue hiding who I am. I don't want to live in fear of people finding out my little secret. I guess I really want to be accepted for who I am without having to play a role.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Are you having conversations with this guy at night or are you just going in there and admiring him from afar? I think asking him if his gay could be a good thing if you get the feeling that he looks forward to seeing you too. I think a person can usually tell if a person likes them back.

3. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I understand your aprehension about revealing your orientation to people. From what I've heard, there is a bit of judgement towards bisexuality as it's either considered 'the easy way out' of admitting you're actually gay, or criticised for not knowing exactly what you want (which is a load of crap because you are simply attracted to both sexes, so you do know what you want).

I also get sick of 'hiding' my sexuality from others as I am afraid of how they will react. Sometimes I just want to tell everyone just to get it over and done with. But then I realise I would much prefer to tell people in my own time when I feel that the individuals are ready. I've been giving a few hints to some more of my friends, kind of letting them ponder on it. To me that method works better than just blurting it out because at least if they're questioning my sexuality, then it shouldn't come as such a big surprise when I do tell them.

I think it's great that your ex g/f is so supportive of you & your other friend is also ok with it. I think that you should take coming out at your own pace & only tell people when you want to, not because you feel you NEED to.

As for the guy that works near you, do you talk to each other when you're there? Does he serve on a register or something? I always strike up a conversation with checkout staff because I've done the same type of work before. Ask how his day has been, if he's had any nightmare customers come in, or even just mention stupid little things that customers do, like complain about the service speed, then pay in coins, etc. These segways often lead into good conversations, & youll have a chance to suss him out a bit more & let him notice you (if he hasn't already!)

Best of luck & keep us updated :icon_bigg

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

If ur gonna come out,do it at ur own pace.Some may not like it,but they'll accept you for who you are and they'll love you just the same,and you have the support of ur ex which is very helpful when your struggling with anything,escpecially coming out to people you think won't accept you.As for the guy.If you think he's gay and you talk to him when your there,I'd ask him if he had a g/f.Maybe he'lll just say that he's gay and then you can tell him the same about yourself and maybe it can lead to something!
    I hope everything works out for you.You have our support that's for sure(*hug*)

5. netlord80

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was some great advice. Thanks all.

I think I'm gonna try talking to him tonight after I finish work. This is the first time that I've ever tried to ask a guy out in the real world. Very scarry, but I think I'm ready. My ex might be going down with me for moral support. I haven't really decided if I want her to yet though.

I've decided to edit my MySpace profile too. I'm not quite ready to advertise my sexuality, but I'm not comfortable leaving myself listed as straight. I don't want to pretend to be something that I'm not anymore. I'm starting to feel like "why should I have to hide who I am?". I mean, if they can't accept me for who I am, I am better off without them, right?

I think my biggest fear is coming out to my family. I think I'm gonna tell my cousin in the next few days. We were like brothers growing up. I don't see much point in delaying it though. This fear isn't going to just go away, and I have to do it at some point if I am going to be true to myself.

Well, wish me luck tonight.

Oh off topic question...Are those rainbow stickers just to signify being gay or do they apply to others as well?

6. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The rainbow flag (pride flag) is largely associated with the gay comunity. I find it easier to possibly 'identify' people who wear pride colours, but of course, then again, you do encounter some straight people who just like bright colours. From what I've found on the net, it symbolises diversity in the gay community & each of the colours represents a different meaning.

RED = Life
    ORANGE = Healing
    YELLOW = Sun
    GREEN = Nature
    ROYAL BLUE = Harmony
    VIOLET = Spirit

It's called the 'Rainbow Flag' because with red ontop, this is the pattern of colours that appear naturaly in a rainbow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. SpikySpice

Well, Im glad that your ex is your supporter, that is pretty important because at least you have a wall to lean sometimes when needed

Now, coming out is something that requires tiem to people, and I understand that you want to stop the feeling of knowing nowhere to go. For comming out to the world and affraid that people wont accept you, just make sure that you are ready, because if you are not strong enough, whne you come out, it'll be really hard for you. So you have to be strong for that, and be proud of yourself, dont let nobody let you down. Remember that it's crazy life and anything could happen

If you like the guy and sure that he is gay, go for it, make a move, or you'll lose the cahnce and be sorry. But if he is not gay and dosent like taht it's ok, but im sure that you said he is gay so yeah, make a move:slight_smile:

Good luck, alright, and it's good to have your ex next to you

8. 24601

Well, there are many misconceived notions of bisexuality. Far too often we make generalizations about other groups of people without first seeing the facts. I've seen it coming from straights, gays, bisexuals, and everyone in between. The truth is, as I'm sure you know, that bisexuality is a very valid orientation. The attraction is there for both sexes, and you don't have to pick one or the other. Yes, there are some people who criticize bisexuals for the above reasons, but I don't think they're in the majority (at least in the LGBT community), nor do I think that a little talk won't be enough to quell their uncertain misconceived notions.

As for your whole rainbow thing, as far as I'm concerned it applies to all branches of the LGBT community. BUT there is also a bisexual pride flag that features magenta, lavender, and blue stripes. Here's a quote from wikipedia:

And a pic:

[​IMG]

9. netlord80

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's actually kind of funny since my favorite color is purple.

Thanks for the info!

I'll post an update tonight.