1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm extremely social "awkward"...fucked up.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoinStag, Aug 9, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Ok....I feel embarrassed talking about this. I mean, at school I know everybody. I go to a small school where everybody knows everybody, but outside of school is horrible.

Idk why but I feel really nervous or scared to even go out in public were I know there will be a lot of people I don't know. Like sometimes I can't even leave the house. I'm so embarrassed even saying all of this. Idk what's wrong with me. I'm not some freak you see at school sitting in the corner by myself talking to my hand or whatever, I have friends there. I just sometimes can't even go outside.

Does this sound like anything you guys might know about?

2. Root

Yes, yes, and yes. Except I was socially awkward in school, and out of school, or even if we had visitors at home.

My first improvement came by when I temporarily dropped out of school, moved out of home and landed a job with my brother. I was forced to learn to cope. Not the easiest way of going about things now is that?

So, my next big improvement came when I was put on a chill pill, Klonopin. I went from lonely and socially anxious, to outgoing and happy as hell. Still, not the best way to go about things, drugs such as klonopin are not a permanent solution, and are addictive.

Next, came therapy, which has been a useful tool for the last eight months, and I've had drastic improvements.

Then I moved on to going out by myself. I went to the pub on queite days, would have some drinks and talk to the bartender. Then I started going to busier days and meeting new people who approached me. Now I'm comfortable enough to approach other people.

It's been a long road, but that's how -I- improved. I'm not good at giving advice, so I thought I would just share my experience... hope you find something useful out of it! :slight_smile:

3. adam88

A thread I started:http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36773

The main problem with Social Anxiety Disorder and AVPD are that people who need help the most are the least likely to seek it out themselves.

Root gives some good advice, but drugs aren't for everyone. They don't fight the condition, just certain of its symptoms.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a comedy show back in the 80s - they had a bit which boiled down to "Are you one of the thousands of people who are terrified of the telephone? If so, there IS help available. Simply pick up the phone and call..." Which humorously touches on the whole catch-22 of situation like yours. There ARE methods to help out, but most of them start with talking to people you don't know...which, of course, if you could do easily, you hardly would need to talk to them, would you? :slight_smile:

It does sound like at least a mild case of Social Anxiety Disorder. And yeah, I'm going to toss off the advice of seeing your doctor about it, even though that might not be something you can easily do. But just because it may be tough doesn't mean it might not be the right move. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. adam88

Good advice, Lex. A therapist of some sort can help start getting you to step out of the house and meet some people, but the first and most difficult part is over: admitting your issues. That took me 28 years to do. :slight_smile:

6. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Like even with some of my closest friends I can't even look them in the eye. Only a few and besides them I can't look anyone in the eye. Idk if that his something to do with it idk. I just can't wait 'till school starts so I can be out of this house and with the 4 or 5 people that actually give a shit about me.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeaaaah.. I have that .. its somewhat almost 80% gone :grin:

I had to solo it though without any help, since i was too scared too ask. Was a rough journey.. anyway, yeah the telephone thing, omg I was soo scared, but having to work full time etc, helped A LOT.

I don't the main (only) problem for me is, I get anxious around attractive people. I'm working on it.

But yeah, I don't why but If i stay home for too long etc, without going out or anything, I get anxious when I finally do go out. Like some psychological thing, thats hard to unravel.. If that made any sense lol

---------- Post added 10th Aug 2010 at 10:43 PM ----------

An advice is.. don't stay alone too long and think about it too long.. it can make you overanalyse , and make you see stuff in the wrong way.

Trust me.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't look anybody in the eye, either. Unless I REALLY work at it. I usually sit a bit sideways from them and look at them sort of out of the corner of my eye. My friends just chalk this up to a bizarre quirk of mine. Which is pretty much what it is. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Root

One thing I think I should emphasize for anyone with Social/General Anxiety.
    The drugs known as benzodiazepines (ativan, klonopin et), which are often prescribed are pretty hardcore in my opinion. I've been known to abuse mine, since it is addictive and feels good.

I'm not on klonopin for purely for anxiety, but to prevent my anxiety from triggering me into a psychotic episode (I am schizoaffective, now I have two stigmas to deal with :-| ).