1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working up the nerve to come out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by foofighter, Aug 10, 2010.

1. foofighter

These past two months have been the most unproductive months of my life. I can no longer fall asleep. I can no longer focus on my work. I am now getting to the point where my stress is causing me to feel physically sick where I feel like I am running a fever and a mild headache all the time. I feel like crying but I can't cry.

Coming out to my friends was so easy. It felt so right. I didn't even think about it I just asked one friend out to lunch and told her and then that day told the rest of my friends. I was so excited to come out and be free! It felt so good to be myself.

I've been putting off telling my parents for several weeks and now I'm only two days away from going to college and I know if I don't tell them by then I'll forever regret it. I feel I won't be happy at college and it will be so much harder to tell them later.

I just can't get the nerve to tell them. I'd love to tell just my mom at first but she's never alone and I have the hardest time even asking her to talk to me in private. It's ridiculous too because I know my whole family will be extremely accepting... I know it will probably be kinda awkward with my dad at first but he'll get over it quick.

What can I do to pump myself up and force myself to tell them?

One thing that I've been using as an excuse for myself is that I need to be 100% sure I'm gay before I set it in stone. I don't want to tell them I'm gay and then realize that I was wrong. How can I get over this paranoia? I know I'm gay 100% but for some reason I am always seeking confirmation. I want that paranoia to end so bad.

Any words of advice or encouragement?

#1 foofighter, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two things to keep in mind:

* For nearly everybody, it goes better than they expected.
    * It's EXTREMELY rare for somebody to have to "undo" a coming out. Getting to the point where you feel you need to come out almost invariably means this isn't some passing fancy.

You might try writing a short note and handing it to them. Then you won't even have to wait for them to be alone. Just make sure the note says "I'd like to talk to you in private about this when you have a chance."

Lex

3. MagicalMatt

Everyone has doubts, but most of those doubts are unwarranted.

And if your parents are cool, then there's nothing to lose, right?

You got this!