1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After High School?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lady Gaga, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I am mainly looking for advice from people who have been in my situation before. But it'd still be nice to hear from anyone. :3

So here is my situation. I graduate from high school this year, I have never had a job. I have no college fund.

Here is my plan:

I plan to work for a year before actually going to college, then starting college in the fall of 2012. Which means I would be working from July 2011 through August/September 2012. Since I have no college fund, I would have to rely on scholarships and loans to go through college.

However, I am not the best student. The only way I can get scholarships is by me being gay. So that's not really a perfect payment option. I also don't want to be in debt for very long (or at all) after college.

So, I plan to get a job at the beginning of 2011. I will work there throughout school. I will then either see if I can get a full-tine position or if I have to find a full time job or another part-time job.

I did the math, kind of. If I make minimum wage ($7.25) and work full time, I will earn roughly $15,000 a year before taxes.

Would that be enough for 2 years of community college then onto 2 years of state college? The reason I am doing 2 years of community college and 2 years of state college is because it would save me money and the credits are transferable.

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, no, my parents will not help me with college.

However, I can live at home if I pay $200.00 a month. I won't have to pay for utilities or food. And I don't need a car so I don't need to pay for insurance or car payments. The university and multiple plazas are within walking distance.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a sensible option. You might have to take some loans, but $15,000 should cover a substantial portion of community college + 2 years at a state school. You'll also be eligible for Pell grants which will further stretch the funds you have available.

Finally, most scholarships these days are not merit-based, but need-based. If you do decently in community college, most colleges will, through a combination of grants, scholarship, loans, and work/study jobs, help you find a way to pay for your education.

But also you should think about what your end goal is. What you major in and where you go to school is a pretty large variable here. Depending on the purpose of getting the degree, there are some very inexpensive (under $5000) options for getting a college degree, and some very inexpensive options as well for completing your general ed requirements.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I plan on getting my associates degree in Accounting during the two years of community college, then getting my bachelors at a college near me. It's business division is actually one of the best business schools in the lower 48, and it is affordable.

And I've had Accounting classes in high school. Only a year of them, but some none-the-less and I know I am good at it. It comes very smoothly to me. My teacher split the class in two division, the people she thought needed her explanation, and the people who she thought could teach themselves (but could ask for help any time.) This girl and I both finished the year one and two books before the fourth semester started. We worked together, that's how we went so fast.

I then plan on becoming a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) as that will raise the average income I could get by at least $10,000 dollars.

#3 Lady Gaga, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you have a good plan.

If cost is crucial, you might want to check out Ohio U- Athens. They have programs that allow you to take the exams (and there are study guides available) for practically every course they offer. If you pass the exam, you get credit for the class as though you'd taken it. This can be quicker, and less expensive, than taking the courses at a typical school.

You might also look at Excelsior College They allow you to earn a degree 100% through exams and/or demonstration of knowledge, so, for example, you could exam or demonstrate knowledge for a lot of the work, and only have to actually take the courses where you don't already have much of the knowledge.

The school is a private school that used to be part of the NY state system, so quite reputable, but would not be a "top" business school. But it also might be 1/4 of the cost, so it depends on what you're after.

Anyway, sounds like you have a good plan in mind. :slight_smile:

5. Adam

If you want to join the military they pay for most of your college.

6. MagicalMatt

Steven, all I can say is that I'm glad you see school as an option. I know a bunch of capable people who thought they couldn't afford it when they could work and make it happen. Good for you on that front.

Another good for you comes in thinking this whole thing out. Getting organized and getting a plan is the key to succeeding.

As for my advice: don't be afraid to take student loans. Yeah they suck. Yeah you'll pay them back forever, but if you did what you wanted in life, what's the difference. I feel like, if you want to go to school and you're being reasonable about your financial reality, then you'll be fine.

Big Love from Oklahoma.

7. hopelesslover93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't get it, why your parents want money from you to stay at your own home?..(and it's $ 200!)

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you sound like you have a good plan. Be sure to use that year to check out pell and other government grants. Free money is always good.

Unfortunaly if your a white male and your parents are still married the government won't want to give you much. Go to the financial aid office of the school your applying to and ask about grants and scholarships. See if they can recommend a few website but: MAKE A SEPERATE EMAIL ACCOUNT ONLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP INFO. The reason I'm saying this is many of these site will sell your email address and you may get spam bombed, it happened to me.

9. starfish

Maybe because it is not his house. He is an adult so it is not unfair that he contribute to the household expenses.

I would start looking at grants and scholarships today. Taking the year off can working can be helpful, if you are the type that is good at saving money.

Also taking classes at the community college is a great idea. For me the classes at the community college were 1/5th the cost of the university.

Since you are cost sensitive I suggest planning your classes at least 6 months out. The reason for that is that the books can be very expensive. By planning your classes you give yourself time to look for the good book deals.