1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going public with it... eventually.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Aug 13, 2010.

1. BudderMC

It's not like I live in a homophobic area or anything, I've just never seen a gay couple before in public. We've been on vacation the last week or so, and walking up to see a light show, I saw a couple pass me on my left. Subconsciously doing a double take, I saw they were both guys, so I was kinda sorta in awe. Then the one guy took the other guys hand and lifted it to give him a kiss and I think my heart just melted there. And no way in hell am I a mushy type, but that got to me. Then I kept thinking the whole night about how badly I wanted something like that. At least I think I can confidently slap the gay label on me now, everyone else will get it with time.

So I'm still not out or anything, big surprise, but it got me thinking... seeing as this is basically the first gay couple I've seen in public together, is being in a same sex relationship going to be a big deal? I mean, I figure there are others I've just never seen, but it's like a one in a million occurence for me. I probably won't be opposed to going to LGBT groups and bars or other social things to meet people either once I'm out, but is it unheard of to just meet someone, say like any other straight person would?

I'm hitting the part where I want nothing more than to just be with someone who loves me for nothing more than me, but reality is setting in and it's seeming more and more impossible to do... I know a lot of you have been there, done that, so I figured it couldn't hurt to get some insight.

2. VentinIntrovert

Well to put it into simple words. You're not alone. I'm in the same predicament as you are and am hoping one day I can hug and kiss the one I love... Sigh...

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess part of it will depend on where you are. The bigger the city, and the more open-minded the city, the less of a big-deal being in a same-sex relationship is. I can't remember the last time anybody so much as raised an eyebrow to me having a boyfriend. Hell, the gruff muscular guy at the sandwich shop asked "Who'd you go on vacation with?", and I said "My boyfriend"...to which he said "You have a good time?" It's an utter non-event here.

And no, it's not unheard of to just meet someone. I met my partner online, but not at a gay website. We were playing online video games, we kept running into each other, we started chatting, etc. Going where the gays go obviously improves your odds, but it's a possibility nearly everywhere.

>>>I'm hitting the part where I want nothing more than to just be with someone who loves me for nothing more than me...

...and who you will love for him. Two-way street. :slight_smile:

Lex