1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's two ways I could go about this.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xCrazyInsanity, Aug 18, 2010.

1. xCrazyInsanity

I REFUSE to go by my birth name for another year at school.
    My name is Kyle dammit

There's two ways I can manage this.
    1)Send an email to all my 1st semester teachers, explaining.
    2)Approach each one on the first day asking if they could change it on the attendance list.

First one is pretty direct, but is open to "wtf, why?" Second is going to be 7 incidents of nerve-wracking but less open to questions due to time.

I'm probably over-analyzing this, like with everything else.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd favor the second.

The first would be easier for you, but it would also seem more like an impetuous move by a student...and thus easier for them to dismiss. It'd be FAR better to talk to them each in turn, let them know what name you want to go by.

Lex

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Go for the second one. Just tell the teacher that you would rather me called by another name. You don't have to explain to them fully why. Kids do it all the time.

4. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

I agree with what's been said.

Each teacher might have a different reaction, and you can't know what the reactions might be until you actually see them. If you send an email, there's no way to cover all their reactions, so it's better to go and talk to them. Then you can deal with each one in an individual manner.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like TheEdend said, kids do it all the time.

5. Lebowski45

I agree with Lexington and TheEdend, the second one is best. Personally asking them will probably guarentee that they will call you by the name you want, and I can't imagine you'd have to really explain why. Teachers usually respect your wishes if you just ask them

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah.. thats what I did on my first day at school, I told my teacher I wanted to be called by my english name.. When you meet other students just say the name you want to be called by them.. Then it would flow to other people there.