1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Year of College. How do I make the most of the year?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, Aug 19, 2010.

1. subaru000

After having a bad first year of school at a college that I disliked passionately, I asked my mom if it would be fine to transfer to another campus. She said it would be fine (and it is because the drive is shorter to and from). Yesterday, she, my brother and I went to a campus tour, where everyone was completely chill and relaxed, with no worries in the world. There were two or three people walking at a time like people would when they walk in a park, taking in the surroundings. Every part of the tour made me feel restored and it gave me pride to be there gaining something out of the college.

This year, I want to do things my way (within legal means, of course). I want to step out there and make a few friends and finally feel like a young adult. If things go well with financial aid money I'll have enough for a bike and other essentials (I'll find that out in a few weeks) so if I want to go somewhere close, I could. My mom, I'm assuming, wouldn't care too too much because she'll be at work for an hour or so after classes are done so that won't be a problem either.

The only question now is where to start. How do people my age figure something like this out, before a big first day, by making a good impression?

Thanks for any ideas. :icon_bigg

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also went to a school I didnt like my first year and then transferred. One thing that made life a lot easier to me at my new school was NOT trying to impress people. I had been so fed up with feeling like I had to hide completely who I am from people at my last school that no way would I put myself through that again just to make friends, because why do I want to be friends with someone who only likes me when i'm being fake?

Just think of everyone at your new school like they already know who you are and they like you anyways. If you act like you like people and they like you, then eventually they'll be in that mindset as well.

Then making new friends is a snap! All you gotta do is talk to people.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    get involved, do some of the school activies. If some people are having an interesting conversation ask to join

4. MagicalMatt

I second, Get Involved! I've been so involved at my school it's not even funny, but I've had a blast for two years now. Find something you love doing and find other people who love doing that too. Have fun.

5. subaru000

Here's a quick update: there is a "Male Outreach Center" at my campus. It seems pretty average to me, probably because I'm not the type to be told what to do constantly. (I get enough of that treatment at home). There's guys in the pictures playing sports and looking like they're having a good time so I'm interested in seeing what the Center is about. After a week or two at the campus, I think I'll check them out.