1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My predicament

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Oliver, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Oliver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Anyway. Im not out to any of my family and I don't think any of them suspect it. I know for a fact they'd all be very accepting etc since they're very liberal blah blah blah.

Thing is, the other day when I was on the computer I miserably fail to notice I have a gay site open in another tab, all the while i'm talking to my brother sitting next to me :eusa_doh:

Basically, I'm pretty sure he must have seen, and he's dropped a couple of subtle hints since (although these may be coincidental). I didn't really feel like coming out to them just yet since it will only cause extreme awkwardness but I suppose given the situation, this might be a good time.

Thing is i've tried to come out to them before with subtle hints, and once I wrote a letter to my dad but didn't even show it to him in the end :bang: but I can never seem to actually get the words out, and its a bit of a bother. I don't have any problem with knowing how to tell them or what to say or whatever, its just the issue of actually saying it.

2. NoLeafClover

When the time came for me to say something, my heart was thumping in my chest...

I said "There's something I have to tell you..."..then both my parents got really worried and instantly thought I was doing drugs or got a girl pregnant. Their reaction made me laugh, and then it seemed easy by comparison, to tell them that I like men.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you really don't want to go down that road yet, don't. Just assume your brother knows, and go on with your life.

Lex

4. Lebowski45

It is frustrating, I know, because I'm not out to family either, and there have been a few close moments on the computer with me too when someone unexpectedly sits next to you etc. I actually had a close call recently when I had EC open in a tab and my bro came to look at my itunes for something.....these things happen.

What I'd say is don't feel forced to come out until you are ready. In my experience (and I'm still going through this myself) about six months ago I was being thoroughly cross examined on the subject by a mate and yet the words couldn't come. Even though I knew he'd be cool with it, I couldn't say it. And yet, last week, I finally told him. I went through a long time of thinking I could never tell anyone, and yet now I'm considering telling others......time has made things easier, and I think that's true for most people. It will be the same with you. Don't feel too frustrated about feeling unable to tell them, I'm sure it will come. You'll know yourself I think when the time is right.

It seems like your brother may suspect, and you said he'd be cool with it. Maybe telling him first will make things easier when it comes to telling your dad and others. But again, I wouldn't rush into if you don't feel entirely comfortable. It's your decision when and to whom you want to come out, and I think you'll know yourself when the time is right

5. paco

paco Guest

well if your brother saw it and knows, what exactly makes it more awkward for you to tell him? i usually feel the most weird when something is hanging in the air and you think people know but you aren't quite sure.

if he's as accepting as you say, it won't change things between you a bit, it might make you closer cause you're not hiding a big chunk of your life away from him, but i assume he's known you all your life, it'd take a lot to make him see you any differently. and i know this seems like "a lot" but as it turns out, it's usually not.

whatever you decide to do, remember it's your life, so you get to choose who to tell and when. take as much or as little time as you need cause you've got no obligation to anyone but yourself.

6. fringelunatic

I'd say the same; if he knows (and from what you've said it sounds like he does) then telling him is likely to do the opposite to making the situation more awkward. Look at it from his point of view - he's stumbled upon this piece of evidence - possibly out of nowhere, although I'd be surprised if a brother didn't have some idea you're gay, what's he meant to do about it. He probably doesn't feel he can talk to you about it, so he's only likely to talk to someone else, and then you could end up with a situation you have no control over. So my advice - tell him. The worst that can happen is that your liberal and accepting family finds out.