1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking here because I can't anywhere else

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MagicalMatt, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MagicalMatt

So a lot of you read my other thread about my experiences in the past year, and there has been a minor development.

Basically what has happened is I have become aware of someone in town who sounds like the kind of person I respect and would like to get to know. I'm not saying be in a relationship with necessarily, but it's not out of the question. Only the thought of talking to him (I have his email address only) makes me nervous. I don't know if I'm ready to be "talking" to a guy. I don't know if I could honestly just be "seeing what comes of it" or if I'd be hoping the whole time that something more would come out of it.

I don't want to want just anyone. I want to want someone special, and I feel like maybe reaching out to someone is a little too drastic of a move at this venture. If I had met this person and we'd hit it off, that'd be a different story.

So should I reach out and try to be just friends and feel it out or am I kidding myself?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'd need to know more about this guy. "I became aware of someone in town" seems so...film noir or something. :slight_smile: Who is he (in essence)? How did you find out about him? How did you get his e-mail address? And what is it about him that's getting your hopes up?

Lex

3. MagicalMatt

haha. The film noir thing made me laugh.

Well, that's complicated. Basically, I know of him because of friends and have seen his picture on Facebook, and then I was on a dating site and saw him there and it had his email address. A lot of the things he says (about being down to earth, not cruel when it comes to looks, liking to just chill and talk, doesn't need to be constantly entertained) sounds like the kind of people I spend my time with.

Honestly, he's also a bigger guy, and while that's not a turn-on for me, it's also not a turn-off. I've come to realize that bigger guys are less worried about the looks of their "partners" because they understand, you know? And I'm not a small guy either. I like to know that someone doesn't give a fuck. :lol:

I'm rambling aren't I?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you saw him on a dating site, and you're interested in possibly dating him, why not just contact him via the dating site? :slight_smile:

Lex

5. MagicalMatt

I mean I can, but I think what my real question is is "Should I contact him at all?"

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2010 at 12:16 AM ----------

Sorry, I'm being difficult. :facepalm:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you should.

My reluctance in my first post was simply because I didn't have any idea what the situation was. It sounded like "well, I found out about this guy, and I've looked him up on line, and found his e-mail address, and now I want to contact him". Which was a bit like "Uh...OK." But your second post made it clear. "I found a guy on a dating website who interests me. Should I contact him?" And yes, you should. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. MagicalMatt

That's simple and straight-forward enough.
    (Ignores inhibitions regarding previous relationships and the advice of friends and sends introductory email)

8. MagicalMatt

Sent an email and got a response. I'll keep you all updated.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure why your friends suggest not contacting him. Do they find dating sites unsavory? Do they think you're not ready for a relationship?

My thought is people post on dating websites because they want to be contacted. :slight_smile:

Lex