1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone called me a faggot today.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by D_Alejandro, Aug 25, 2010.

1. D_Alejandro

I was at the mall by myself picking up something that I bought from a boutique, and while I was leaving, I walked past 2 guys and a girl. They eyed me up and down and as I was passing one of the guys I heard him say the word "faggot". I'm not an idiot...and I know it was directed at me. While I don't act as flamboyant as I used to when I first came out in High School (I've toned it down A LOT), I do dress very well and accessorize myself with designers, etc.

Anyways, I have no idea how to feel about this. I guess I feel confused and saddened. I live in New England, and I rarely face any type of discrimination...but then again I don't really go out too much, and when I do, it's usually with family or a friend or two.

The only thing that makes me angry is that the guy must have felt some sort of "confidence" because he was in a group and I was by myself. Those type of straight men are such cowards. Do they really need to pick on gay guys to boost their ego? It's so sad.

I'm not really shocked, just really confused and bothered. It's just annoying to deal with. I guess when you experience something like that where I live it takes you by surprise. It's like when you live in a charming small town where no one can do wrong and everyone knows each other and then, all of a sudden, a murder or some other type of crime occurs. It's just so shocking, confusing, and saddening because it doesn't really happen. But that's just my analogy.

I experience this type of discrimination once or twice a year, so I have no idea what to make of it...I honestly believe that the world is going BACKWARDS and gays are just the scapegoat and main targets to harass and ridicule. I've been bullied ALL my life, so it's not like it's a shock or something new. I just find it extremely disturbing and peculiar. Why people feel the need to do these things, I will never know (besides the fact that it boosts their ego, and they do it to show off and feel better about themselves).

Anyone else experience occurrences like these? While I was driving home, I laughed a little because it's just so ridiculous and absurd...I have no idea how I feel about this incident.

Any thoughts? :/

2. Connor22

forget about it! so some idiot called you a faggot big frigging deal! you know I heard a line that is really great adn it says "the best way to win a fight is with a big hug" just relax forget him and move on sure theres people call me faggot and butt pirate and queer and several other things I'm sure just ignore them and move on it's not the end of the world

3. kettlkorn

Buff up and carry a lead pipe. That's what I do!

4. Connor22

5. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    the only decent responce i've heard to somebody being homophobic, "thats just the way you like it" tends to shut them up.

6. 4 seat

I'm sorry, this isn't a very funny thread, but that just made me crack up lol.

7. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

This is how I've always seen it. Are you a faggot? I don't think so. I think you're gay- that's not a faggot.

I personally don't know any faggots, I don't know any Niggas either. I have beautiful friends who are gay and beautiful friends that are Black. Do you see where I'm getting at?

Faggot is a derogatory term. Do not give it power. One gives it power by letting it affect you. I'm from the West Indies and the derogatory term used to talk to us is "Coolie" which means "slave" and so forth. I am not nor have I ever been or will ever be anyone's slave...thus I am not a Coolie...I am West Indian. Even West Indians call each other Coolie but I do not respond to it. It, like Nigga, infuriates me. I hate when Black people use the term Nigga...I guess I'm digressing so I'll try to get back on point.

The guy was an asshole, you are fantastic and brave (braver than most), and he will think about what he said and feel terrible one day. You did the "manliest" and sexiest thing that day- you let it go. THAT sir is what a man does! If that guy thought of you as anything other than a "man" by thinking you a faggot you just proved him wrong!

By the way a faggot is a bunch a twigs...are you a bunch of twigs? I don't thinks so :slight_smile: You are one helluva man. :slight_smile:

8. NoLeafClover

I also live in New England, and I don't often encounter these types of things when I go out. There are times when it seems like I forget that some people are so dumb, and for a while it'll bother me in the same way you've described. As though I'm over it, but for some reason it's still jarring to hear.

9. D_Alejandro

Very well said! I get your point and I think your way of thinking is very efficient! :slight_smile:
    You're very clever!

Thank you for the kind response. I read it a few times and I feel a whole lot better. I also dislike offensive slurs, and I think they're just a way for weak people to try and hurt others. It's such a cowardly thing to do.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2010 at 08:02 PM ----------

Yeah like I said, it doesn't happen a lot...so that's why I feel confused and stunned.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He called you a stick, maybe take it as a compliment, he's saying you're thin :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol. But I know, being called faggot hurts...but you'll be okay. Just shrug it off :slight_smile:

11. AlyssWonderland

Just move on from it! Who cares what one silly homophobic straight guy thinks? Its obvious that you are so much better than him.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always responded to "faggot" with "breeder", delivered in precisely the same tone. Of course, I'm over six feet tall, and I at least LOOK like I could kick some ass, so I wouldn't recommend it to everybody. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I have a bat in the car with me 24/7. Violence isn't the answer, but to them intimidation is, so do it back. Intimidate them back. Besides, the look on their faces is priceless when you step out ready to fuck them up. I just have this because where I live, people feel the need so stupid shit to EVERY person they pass. It's ridiculous.

14. Beachboi92

we should take faggot back the way african american people did with the N-Word. Call each other it and when someone else not gay uses it just get pissed off like WTF dude not cool i understand why Black people do it now cause it is so fun to put yourself in that position and turn the word on them. After all it's just a word it has as much power as you let it have. When i get called something or mistreated i just smile and act nice and low and behold they look like an asshole and i am the bigger guy.

15. D_Alejandro

Won't work in my case :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

but I rather enjoyed that :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2010 at 05:17 PM ----------

Yeah I don't like violence either...but I wish I could do something to see a priceless look of surprise!

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2010 at 05:18 PM ----------

Kill them with kindness! :slight_smile:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a gay-themed comic book where a kid in college is gay-bashed. A bunch of (also gay) students are discussing what to do about it, when a straight (but gay-friendly) student comes in the room. "I heard what happened," he said. "Is there anything I can do?"

One of the gay students turns to him and snarls, "This doesn't concern YOU, het-boy!"

I don't know why I love that line so much, but I do. (I think that's one of four lines that character speaks in the entire run of the comic.) Whenever one of my straight friends starts panting after a girl or something, I'll say "Calm it down a bit, het-boy." Maybe I should try it on the next guy who calls me "faggot". :slight_smile:

Lex

17. fringelunatic

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can share you rage over this. When someone calls me a Fag my first response is:
    "Ever had a fag kick your ass?!"

Its gotten me into a trouble and gotten my butt kicked a few times.

But, retorting with perfect come back can hurt more then a slap in the face.

Biggot, Breeder, Asshole they all world, just deliever it in the same tone it was said to you. I've also noticed that no one ever seems to say anything when you're out numbered, like you said this guy and another guy ans girl with him for back up.

Real cute of him mouth off when he had his crew there back him up. I shake my magic 8 ball and....all signs point to coward.

19. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been called that numerous times over the years, even from those closest to me. However, I don't particularly act feminine (at least not more so than many straight guys I know and see on TV). Where I was from (a small town in TX), I guess any sign of difference in appearance, body language and speaking ability warrants a need for an out lash.

I teach music lessons at a middle school and was yelled at with that word by one of the kids waiting for a ride after school. I didn't think they realized how old I was. Some people are immature, or haven't been educated properly to accept other people's differences. I honestly could care less about another persons personality traits, as long as it wasn't harming me, and if it was even actually adding value to my own life. Some people, though need to find the satisfaction of putting down others, and are entirely involved in other people's lives (probably to create a distraction from their own).

I honestly don't believe these people are 100% at fault for their actions, as education and awareness of differences in people need to be focused on more and more throughout this world. It will, one day. Acceptance will exist. But until then, we must make sure we are making history and educating people of today, helping people grow and learn and accept others. Acceptance must start somewhere, and it is growing everyday by people like us, by supporters and sympathizers.

I know the feeling you are having right now. It is deep and dark, but hold true to yourself! You know who you are. There are no labels for you, except the one that describes you as "a human being". Having sadness about what happens proves this--the other people, on the other hand, have shown that they are not quite human; at least not yet. Maybe they will come around, maybe not.

The saying, "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me," is a lie, and keeps one in denial. Knowing that words hurt can help propel you to take an active step in helping others not experience that pain. Or, at least, aid in making the pain less felt. I believe if we all take action and tell others how we feel about them, and help them learn how to accept others, we will move closer to that world I described earlier.

Hold in there. This feeling will pass, and you will regain your strength.

P.S. You're in New England?! I love it up there! What part? It's a place that actually has seasons, and it gives me so much happiness just to look at pictures of quaint New England towns. :slight_smile:

20. concklin

Karma will get him. And no, I don't mean he will get hurt because he called you a faggot. He simply said a word. And he'll say the word again, whether it's to someone, or just about someone behind their back. And he will be put in his place. Someone who hears him will shut him up.

But who knows? Maybe he will call the wrong person a faggot and get his ass handed to him.