1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a college essay about being gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Aug 26, 2010.

1. notquitebutch

Hey guys.

It's time for me to start filling out college apps! Wooo.

Last year, our English teacher had us write college application essays as practice. My prompt was something along the lines of talk about a risk you've taken and how it's paid off. I honestly thought no one would see it, so I wrote about my coming out to my uncle and how I'm more confident ectect. Turns out we DID turn them in. More about that here.

Alright, so I just took a look at the application for my first choice school. The prompt?

I think I can tweak my essay to fit the personal development catagory. There are two problems;

• I'm pretty sure I fucking threw it out. I know D: I remember what I wrote for the most part, though, so I can do it again and make it better.
    • I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

I've seen gay people write about their coming outs and get into college, but my straight friends say that it's a bad idea. What do you guys think? I just.... I don't have anything else that I feel strongly about that would fit this prompt. They say write about what you know, so I mean... yes or no?

2. titaniumCloset

I think it's a good idea, it shows you went through a struggle, overcame it and are also a diverse person.

3. otc877

otc877 Guest

I'd say it's an important part of who you are and has definitely helped shape you into the person you are (generalized statement about all gays... I really have no idea about you). Just be careful to not make the entire essay about the process of coming out, but rather what you learned about yourself and others during it.

Don't make it a coming out story, but tell them how it helped shape you into whatever person you are now.

If you're comfortable with posting it, I'm sure people would be interested in reading it--myself included. Also a good way to get feedback.

4. notquitebutch

I'm planning on posting it once I re-write it :slight_smile: Feedback would be fantastic.

Yeah, the main point of the essay is how it affected my life in a positive way, not just
    "Here's how I came out herpderp I'm gaaaay!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm a little nervous, since I'm not out to my mom, but I don't think she'll see it if I apply online.

5. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

I think it's a great idea. Colleges want applicants that can stand out. They're only gonna notice you if you've got something different about your application. Everyone can take leadership class and calculus in high school, but did they have to come out during high school? A coming out story will make you stand out.

Just make sure the story makes you sound like a confident and able individual, and they'll love it.

I hope you post it when you're done, I'd love to see it. :slight_smile:

6. titaniumCloset

She won't. I did numerous college apps and never saw any of the essays ever again after clicking Submit.