1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make the first move?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, Aug 28, 2010.

1. subaru000

In the last few days, I have noticed a few guys look at me. Here are the examples of how it went:

Thursday:

People were passing me and they said my outfit didn't match :tears: (It did, by the way). There was a group of two people, a guy close to my skin color and had a lisp so I "knew" and he stared at me like someone would do liek they were looking at dessert.

Another guy (he and I have a Government class together) glanced at me I think. He's Russian or Greek and he has the thick accent but I would be hesistant to want to talk to him because he has classes right after and I'm done for the rest of the day. I'd also feel really bad for only wanting to converse with him only for his looks.

Friday:

At the nearby Subway, my brother and I went to get him his usual tuna sandwich with tons of toppings. We walked in and I saw the guy in there that doesn't make all of the sandwiches correctly but he's the one that always glances at me. He's middle eastern I'm assuming, older than me, really eye catching I think (he has really nice brown eyes) and he's always glanced at me for a few milliseconds longer than my brother. It's kind of cool to see him try to look outside or something (I'm sure he does, to actually do so and to pretend like he's not looking my way. I'm not that conceited) and it's fun to flex or something while he's looking.

There was a skater guy that seemed to look at me. Nothing special, but it was noteworthy.

Today:

There is a guy at the grocery store around here that every time I see, my heart kind of skips of beat. He's one of the stockers (I think that is what they are called), and we look at each other and then everything is back to normal. He's a skinny build, an inch or two taller than me, kind of pale and looks like a nice guy. This is the second or third time I've seen him through the store.

The reason why I'm posting this is to see how can I go from the glances to talking to guys. I'm certain that talking to people that are working somewhere will be both awkward and limiting so I'm going to avoid that if I can. In a perfect world, I think I would choose the grocery store man that I saw today because there is something I find attractive about modesty... :icon_wink So, if this were to happen again, how would or should I make the first move?

2. Danny19

well im definitely no expert in this.
    however I would go up to him and ask him where something is in the store. When he answers try to start a conversation about it. like "do u know where the cereal is " he answers and you could say "Thanks, i have been here before and for some reason i never get the aisles right." you know? just dont get nervous.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the two-step process.

1. Find your common ground.
    2. Start talking - or, better yet, ask questions based on your common ground.

So let's take them all one by one, shall we?

People were passing me and they said my outfit didn't match (It did, by the way). There was a group of two people, a guy close to my skin color and had a lisp so I "knew" and he stared at me like someone would do liek they were looking at dessert.

Not sure if one of these guys was the one that said the outfit didn't match (it's not clear by your story), but let's say it is. You could sort of shrug shamefacedly and say "I kinda thought it did, but honestly, I'm not all that great when it comes to picking out clothes." Then look at something one of them is wearing, and say "But that's a really cool shirt. I always have trouble finding good clothes like that. Can I ask where you got it?"

Another guy (he and I have a Government class together) glanced at me I think. He's Russian or Greek and he has the thick accent but I would be hesistant to want to talk to him because he has classes right after and I'm done for the rest of the day. I'd also feel really bad for only wanting to converse with him only for his looks.

The most common reason for starting to converse with someone is "I feel like conversing with someone". Given that, it doesn't matter if they're hot or ugly. :slight_smile: If you felt his eyes on you, you could look back, smile, and say "I'm sorry - I'm trying to place you. Aren't we in the same government class?"

At the nearby Subway, my brother and I went to get him his usual tuna sandwich with tons of toppings. We walked in and I saw the guy in there that doesn't make all of the sandwiches correctly but he's the one that always glances at me. He's middle eastern I'm assuming, older than me, really eye catching I think (he has really nice brown eyes) and he's always glanced at me for a few milliseconds longer than my brother. It's kind of cool to see him try to look outside or something (I'm sure he does, to actually do so and to pretend like he's not looking my way. I'm not that conceited) and it's fun to flex or something while he's looking.

Smile and say "You know, I always get the same thing when I'm here. Tuna fish, too many toppings. Maybe I should try something else. What would you recommend?"

There was a skater guy that seemed to look at me. Nothing special, but it was noteworthy.

If he had a skateboard with him, compliment him on his deck. Or if you saw him skating, compliment him on his moves, and maybe ask him how long he's been doing it.

There is a guy at the grocery store around here that every time I see, my heart kind of skips of beat. He's one of the stockers (I think that is what they are called), and we look at each other and then everything is back to normal. He's a skinny build, an inch or two taller than me, kind of pale and looks like a nice guy. This is the second or third time I've seen him through the store.

"Excuse me. Do you know if you carry those sugar-free snack sized puddings?" (Obviously, pick something you actually DO want, and something that's not obvious where it is. Most of us can find apples and milk at the grocery store. :slight_smile: )

Mind you, all of these are simply ENTRIES. They get the conversation started. If they answer VERY simply, and don't seem interested in continuing, don't bother pushing it. Now, they might sound a bit embarrassed or shy, in which case feel free to try nudging it a bit more to see if they loosen up more. If not, again, don't press.

What do you follow up with? Well, what did they answer? If that guy actually is in your government class, ask how he's doing, or what he thinks of the professor. If the guy shows you where the pudding is, ask if he's tried any of them. Then, find a place where you can introduce yourself. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Inhuman

I personally never talked to guys in a flirtatious kind of way for 2 reasons

1) I don't know if they're straight or not.

2) even if I know they're gay/bi then I don't want to turn every interaction with non-straight guys all flirtatious because that seems desperate to me, and also comes off as a sign of weakness in my opinion.

I guess the only reason I have a bf is because our mutual friend like FORCED us to talk to each other haha.

Sorry I'm not good advice, but I'm understanding where you're coming from.

5. subaru000

About the outfit incident, it was three ignorant people walking (I think they were trying to hunt me down or something) and it was something that they used every brain cell in saying, so I shrugged it off. I'm a good dresser, haha.

He's in my government class but the room is a lecture hall so that sucks for anyone wanting to talk to anyone else. He's two rows up from where I am so I figure that the best way to talk to him would be after class but twice now he's walked to another class on the other side of campus so I'm thinking of giving up on talking to him.

Subway guy would be risky seeing that he is only there when the main guy we see to make us good sandwiches aren't. It would be nice to start a conversation with him though.

I'm not trying to flirt with anyone but it would be nice to talk to someone I know would want to talk back.