1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm tired of my Dad belittling my depression!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoinStag, Aug 29, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I'm honestly a mixture of incredibly sad and frustrated right now. Me and my Dad are eating and out of nowhere my Dad is like "Man you don't seem depressed. I mean if you were to tell someone you were depressed they'd be like 'man get the fuck outta here'". So I told him "Well I'm gonna try to hide my negative feelings while I'm around people I know". And he says "I don't think you're depressed I think your sleeping schedule is fucked up. You ain't getting enough sleep so you think you're depressed. If you were to tell me 'Dad I wake up and just stare at the wall in the morning' then I'd be worried but that's not you". So I said "I was still depressed during the school year, and I got normal sleep. And what about when I missed school 'cause I was laying in bed for like 2 days straight?" and he just said "I don't know you were probably up all night texting...bottom line: you're not depressed like you think you are".

I just left and went to bed. I'm so upset right now. Everyone in my family can't get it through there heads that I don't have it easy. I really just need some support. There is literally no one I can talk to right now :frowning2:

2. rayban

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're not alone.
    I'm feeling also that way right now.
    But I'm thinking that it will be better later, and it calms me a bit down. :slight_smile:

3. george678

Well parent's seem to know best, does your Mum think your depressed?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents very often are the last to know their kids are depressed. Often, when a kid attempts suicide, the parents had absolutely no idea that he or she was depressed and are shocked.

Men, too, are socialized by society to "tough it out" and to "deal with it" and to hide their feelings, so your dad may have no idea how to respond or to deal with someone who is depressed. Perhaps if you take him aside and have a conversation with him about it, he'll understand better. Unless he's a complete jerk, he should respond to your saying that you're concerned.

Also, the majority of closeted gay teens have moderate to severe depression. The good news is, for most teens, it tends to lift pretty quickly as they come out. So you have that to look forward to :slight_smile:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's tough for somebody who isn't depressed (and never has been) to actually comprehend what's going on with somebody who is. After all, we use the word in non-clinical ways, as well. "Man, am I depressed. My favorite team isn't going to the playoffs." And it's easy for them to picture somebody "depressed" as simply somebody being "in a funk". So they make suggestions that they would to somebody who actually IS in a funk. You know the routine - "look on the bright side", "snap out of it"...or "get a good night sleep" in this case. This might be especially true if they're on a "kids are overmedicated" kick.

About all you can do is try to do is to attempt to explain where you are, in terms he might be able to related to. "Dad, I've been in some 'funks' before. I've had bad days, and had nights where I didn't sleep well. And yeah, those aren't any fun, but I could handle those. This is something else entirely. At its worst, this thing totally consumes me. And not because 'I let it' - it simply washes over me and becomes frighteningly powerful. And trust me - I would LOVE to shake this thing off by 'looking at the bright side' or getting a good night sleep. But this thing is far too big for that. It'd be like trying to fix a broken spine with an ice pack. I'm not sure how to impress on you how deep this thing goes, but trust me, it goes a lot deeper than just having a bad night."

Lex

6. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

My Dad is your typical asshole who can't grow up and just uses women. I have an unconditional love for him but that's pretty much it. I have to spend time at his house by law 'till I'm 18. And the thing is, I told my parents I was depressed when I was 13 and they didn't believe me. After about 2 and a half years after I didn't seem to be like everyone else who was living their normal lives, my Mom took me in to get evaluated with the "you really think you're depressed? Ok, we'll see" attitude. Everything I had been telling them came back as true and I got put on anti-depressants.

But about my Dad, he is incredibly stubborn and there is absolutely no changing his mind on anything. That's why I just get so frustrated with him sometimes.

And yeah, I'm planning on coming out to my sister who is bi and pro-gay pretty soon so it'll be good to have someone who understands :slight_smile:
    That's what pisses me off. He says "everyone has been depressed at some point". Idk if I believe that. Maybe everyone has gone through a form of it, but I've actually been suffering from depression since I was 13. I'm pretty sure that's not something everyone goes through. And I hate when I here people say "I'm so depressed, I missed my favorite show" or something. It takes all of the meaning out of the word (If that makes any sense).

I would give ANYTHING to be able to talk like that to my Dad. The way you wrote down. I hear about people having heart-to-hearts with their Dad and I gotta admit it probably would be kinda nice. That's just not my Dad. He's never been too sensitive. I mean we might joke around here and there but he never has been a sensitive person.

Thanks for giving an example of what I could say though.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>And I hate when I here people say "I'm so depressed, I missed my favorite show" or something. It takes all of the meaning out of the word (If that makes any sense).

That's the way we talk, though. We love ramping things up for dramatic effect. "Let's get some lunch - I'm starving!" "That comedian was so funny, I was pissing my pants laughing." These usually from people who have never been anywhere near the "starving" realm, and presumably can keep their underwear dry during comedy shows.

And as far as your father goes, yeah, it'd be nice if he'd be more empathetic. But what I wrote was less a plea for some emotional bonding, and more an attempt to educate. "Here's what's really going on." I don't know if he'd be reachable from that direction, but you can always try. You might consider writing something out for him, but you'd have to work on keeping it unemotional. The point wouldn't be "I'm going through hell and you don't care". It'd be "you might not understand exactly what I'm going through, so let me try to explain."

Lex

8. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Yeah I never noticed how I even do that sometimes. "I'm starving" would be a good example lol. I just feel like he thinks he knows me inside-out which is funny 'cause he doesn't even know I like dick and am on EC every day. Nothing is more frustrating than people telling you they know you better than you know yourself.

He just refuses to be wrong. Sorry if it sounds like I'm shooting down all of your suggestions, 'cause that's not what I'm trying to do. I just feel trapped and it sucks.

9. blankpaper

My dad is kind of like that. He is just so damn smart and funny and knows everything!! Sometimes he's a real jerk about it too. What I do is be extra reasonable and not get emotional. It cools him down and he can't react all obnoxious without looking like a jerk so we usually are then able to have a level headed conversation. If you think about what you want to say to him about your depression and present it in a level headed manner as solid fact and not an opinion it's a bit harder for him to rebuttal. After that you can be all emotional if you choose :slight_smile:

10. titaniumCloset

Does he know you're gay? Maybe he doesn't know the reason for you being depressed so he assume you're just a normal kid who thinks he's depressed for no reason.

11. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

No, he doesn't know I'm gay. But that's not the only reason. I have the lowest self esteem a person can have and I have really bad social anxiety. I have no self confidence. I just hate that he thinks that it's impossible that I don't have it made.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about having the lowest self-esteem. I sometimes think if we harnessed all the self-esteem energy at EC, we could make toast. Lightly. :slight_smile:

If your dad is a lost cause when it comes to this sort of thing, then just accept it. No use going to a dry well over and over again hoping THIS time tere'll be water. Stick with the places you DO get support.

Lex

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

yeah idk about lowest either. I CAN tell you I avoid everything with a reflection so I don't have to look at myself. I don't even really want his support, I'm just tired of people telling me how I feel.

14. Bryan

I got horribly depressed 2 years ago and my parents pulled the same shit. My dad said I was faking it for attention. Parents have no idea.

You know your body and emotions best. If you are depressed you are and dont let anyone try to belittle the struggle you are going thru right now. I have been there and I understand how horrible it is. You are not alone.

You need to see a therapist or psychologist. While sometimes brought on by circumstance, depression is a medical issue and needs proper treatment.

15. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Thank you :slight_smile:

I am on antidepressants and my Dad just says "those doctors just prescribe shit they don't know what's going on". He's incredibly stubborn and ignorant most of the time.

16. titaniumCloset

Sounds like you should just stop talking to him about your issues then. He sounds like someone who is giving your more negativity with no positive help.

17. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

That's the thing, he brought it up to me. I do admit though, I tend to let him get under my skin. I gotta stop letting him do that.

18. Severed Serenity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I definitely know what this is like. My father and yours have quite a lot in common. The only thing I can suggest is to not tell him about things like depression anymore. If he brings it up, try telling him that you don't want to talk about it. If your father is anything like mine he'll jump all over that, but the best you can do is just not react. As for methods of not letting him get under your skin.. I'm sorry, I haven't quite learned that myself yet. (*hug*) <-- if it's okay. I hope I helped a little!

19. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

^^Thanks :slight_smile:

It's good knowing people understand how I feel :slight_smile:

20. bironey

Out Status:
    All but family
    The man who believes he is depressed and the man who doesn't are both right.