1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

med issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KnightAssassin, Aug 29, 2010.

1. KnightAssassin

I am trying to get more help than i am ussually and actualy writing in these threads help and i know i have problems like every day and i am sorry to waste you time on this petty stuff but ok here we go :
    My psychiatrist said he is refusing to prescribe me meds becuase i am having severe mood swings [ one night i had cut my writst from one of them ] and he is afraid i will try to OD on my meds [ which i have thought about before ] so i decided if he wont prescribe it , i wont take it . so i quit taking my meds last night and i am planning on taking like half tonight and 1/4 tuesday and lowering like that i have been doing halfs since my appointment and so now i am just going to stop taking meds , they didn't work anyways ....... So now i am wondering if i am doing the wrong thing i mean i know its wrong for someone like me to stop taking his meds but they didnt do a thing i still have hullucinations and hear voices and am depressed and i am just ready to go back to ignoring it completely which will be hard since i started listening again since i started therapy but i dont care anymore and am ready to look as close to perfect as i can for now . sorry for al this but i just need help and have no where to turn right now ....

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>now i am wondering if i am doing the wrong thing.

I'd say yes.

For one thing, I thought the meds WERE working. They didn't "solve" everything - they're not supposed to - but from what I recall, they helped you get a better grip on things. Secondly, medications such as these aren't something you can wean yourself off of in a couple days. I was on a fairly mild anti-depressant, and it took me upwards of a month to wean myself off. Which is why I think the psychiatrist suddenly yanking them from you because "I'm afraid he'll OD" sounds like a load of BS. If he was worried about dosage, there are other ways to ensure it doesn't happen. Prescribe a lower dosage, for instance, or put the pills in the control of your parents or a roommate.

I'd say it's time to go shopping for another psychiatrist.

Lex

3. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I am with lex on this one

4. KnightAssassin

i am still going to stop , i know it will be hard but i have no way to get meds atm and was going to run out tomorrow if i hadn't lowered the dosage / stopped taking someday so what should i do , i can take weeks to find a new psychiatrist for me .... ?

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

It's never a good idea to suddenly stop medications without the consent of your doctor. Lex is correct with the amount of time it takes to wean off of many types of psychotropic meds.

And your psychiatrist saying that he's not going to prescribe due to being afraid you'll OD is BS. They have medication (mainly antipsychotics) that is injectable.

6. titaniumCloset

If you have run out, contact your doctor for a refill or see if on the bottle's prescription it says if you can get a refill by just going in to the store. Even if you don't think they do anything, it's not good to all of a sudden remove something like that from your body.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It shouldn't take weeks. If you have a doctor, you should ask him/her if s/he has any recommendations. If you don't, you might do a search for some gay-friendly therapists that work with teens. I just did a quick search, and found these. I'm not saying any of those would be ideal - for all I know, one of them is the person you're seeing now. But you should be able to find somebody to see you fairly quickly. Let them know you're currently on medication, you're having issues with your current psychiatrist, and now you're not sure what to do next.

Lex

8. Eleanor Rigby

Ok so, first, not to taking your meds is a very bad idea, and changing the dosage yourself is a bad idea too. On the kind of meds you are, lowering them 1/2 at a time could already be far too much. So keep taking the meds you still have in the amount you used to. At least, it might save you 24 to 48 h without anymore problems.

On the side of this, your psychiatrist is an idiot. He knows you can't deal without your meds, but he is still cutting you off by fear you OD with them. He could have gave them to your parents, but he chosed to make this tough. Fair enought : I say it's time to find a psychiatrist with a more accurate medical ethic.

I know getting an appointment with a psychiatrist is not always a piece of cake. So, until you find a new one, you can ask to your usual doctor to renew your meds prescription, according with the dosage you used to take. If your doctor is worried to that you OD on them, they always can give it to your parents, or asked for a nurse to come and give them to you every day.
    Maybe your doctor and/or your therapist can speed up the process of getting an appointment with a new prychiatrist calling themselves one of their colleagues. That's worth asking them.

In case your doctor would refuse to renew your prescription, and if your health condition is getting worse, I think it would be time to think about going to the ER and try to explain your problems there. I know you may wait for hours before you could be able to see a doctor, not mentionning a psychiatrist, but in last resort, it's worth the try. And don't forget to bring all your medical records with you, including you last prescription.

I'm glad creating thread is helping you, even just a little. Don't worry about bothering anyone : we're here to help. So if this is helping you, feel free to post as much as you want.
    Hold on Matt, (*hug*), Cécile

#8 Eleanor Rigby, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010