1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get over this??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Aug 29, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

So I'm nowhere near being manly. But I'm not too feminine either. I have a lot of trouble accepting the fact that I'm not manly. I wish I liked atleast one sport like football or baseball but they're just not my thing. I don't have an interest in cars either. None of the typical "guy stuff" interests me. It just sucks not being able to hang out with guys most of the time because I can't relate.

Now I know that this is who I am and I should be happy with it, but I need to figure out how to accept it first. Honestly, I really do like who I am, I think it's more of social pressure then anything else.

2. fringelunatic

:s I'm not sure I'd ever label myself 'manly', but I'm a pretty normal, if somewhat geeky guy, and I couldn't give a toss about sport, or cars. Maybe you're just trying to be part of the wrong crowd. I know some of my friends like sport, but it doesn't mean its *all* they talk about...

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2010 at 09:58 PM ----------

Sorry, that was meant to be helpful, but I'm not sure how it is...

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hang out with gay guys :slight_smile:

If you start hanging out with people who are like you, then you'll be more likely to fit in with them and have similar interests, and won't feel so outcast. While there are gay guys that are interested in sports and cars and such... from my own experience, more are intersted in other things. So you're going to naturally find yourself having less in common with people who are stereotypically straight than people who are stereotypically gay :slight_smile:

And as you hang with people who are more like you, you'll naturally feel less inclination to want to change :slight_smile:

4. Miss Modular

Don't stress about it too much. Sports only became something "masculine" in Victorian England in the mid to late 1800s. Before then, you didn't have to care about sports at all in order to be thought of as manly. So who knows? In fifty years, maybe something totally random will be the epitome of manliness, like playing the flute or working in an animal shelter. :slight_smile:

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

You dont have to be into sports and cars to be manly

6. Iniquity

Please don't worry too much about having different interests. I'd say try and find some new friends to hang with who may have some different tastes. But don't let go of your previous friends if they're good to you in other ways. Trust me, it's okay that you're not into sports. It's not the only interest for men on this planet. And perhaps some new folk around you can help you on the road to accepting yourself more. That's hugely important, and you should have someone around you that allows that to happen.

7. x2x2x2x2y2

Thanks everyone.

I try not to think about this too much, but, like everything else, I tend to overthink it. I wanna meet people that have the same interests as me, but it just seems like the things I like are kind of rare, atleast where I live.

8. Miss Modular

^
    This was me in middle and high school. Fortunately, people in college tend to have more diverse interests and hobbies than in high school, so there's always that to look forward to! Luckily, the internet is a great tool for finding people with similar interests!

9. MagicalMatt

Ok, this is good advice.

This is not. You needn't change anything about yourself at all, but you may find you have more in common with people you don't think you are like.

10. squall2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    im sorta in the same boat. I have loads of female friends - great, but i just want some close male friends like i had in high school (not boyfriends or anything - you know what i mean). but it just seems to be much harder at making male friends being gay.

Now being gay probably isnt a factor, it could be that i simply, like you, havnt got many stereotypical male interests. I dont like football, or any sport for that matter, cars or girls (evidently!), i know you dont need these interests to make friends - of course you dont- but it does make it much much easier in my opinion.

Im at university now (college in US?) and have met some guys, i dont really know how to meet more. my course (psychology) has 180 girls and only 7 lads :O i suppose i should try and join more societies and get myself out there a bit more.

Anyways, just o let you know your not alone! btw i love the paramore sig, they are my fave band!