1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Displays of Affection

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zzzero, Aug 29, 2010.

1. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! So, I'v been dating this guy for like two weeks now, he lives like an hour away and works a lot and i'v had stuff going on too, but we've managed to see eachother four weekends in a row now and we talk every night. It feels like we've been together a lot longer. Anyways. Things are going really well all around.

There's only one question I have, and he just left so he isn't home yet for me to ask him so I thought i'd ask what you guys think. What would you consider too much as far as PDA goes. For instance, since we hadn't really discussed it yet I didn't know if it was okay to hold his hand when a lot of other people were around or kiss him when other people are around. I just don't know how far is too far. We have kissed in public and it wasnt that weird but it was just a quick peck.

What makes me think of this is that today he was leaving and getting on the train and we had to part ways, we had kissed already in the park, but when we got down there we hugged for a while and I think he wanted me to kiss him but there were a ton of people around so I didn't because I didn't want it to be weird for him. Personally, I don't really care if people see me kiss my boyfriend... It's not as if I'm hiding our relationship. He's talked about how he knows people who have had rocks thrown at them, but I really don't think that will happen in Boston... People might think it's odd, then move on with their lives.

So how much PDA is TOO much PDA in your own opinion?

2. Walolas

As long as clothes remain on I don't see an issue.

3. Courtneyyy

I think holding hands is totally kosher. Kissing, is alright too, just don't let it last too long.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

^agee. Also, don't make out in public. That's weird. Lol

5. MagicalMatt

Yeah, don't make out in public.

But really, you need to talk to him about it. Just ask him. It doesn't have to be anything serious. Just be like, "Hey, back when you left I was a little uncomfortable kissing with all those people around. How did you feel about it?"

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I wasn't uncomfortable, but I didn't know if he would be, but I really don't think he would be now that I think about it. But I just want to know for sure I guess lol

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people just don't like kissing in public. I'm one. Never enjoyed it. And I don't like it when anybody - gay or straight - does the full-on make-out session in public. I finally figured out a way to stop it, though. I hold up my phone as if I'm recording them. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. george678

Lex, you make me laugh.

I think holding hands is ok but don't make out.

9. donnie5

I don't like it when people are slopping all over each others faces in public (gay straight or mutant) i think its tacky but kissing, hugging, holding hands all seem very reasonable to me. Not to mention i don't think anyone will throw a rock at you in massachusetts for it. it might happen here in omaha but thats what i have a tazer for:icon_wink

10. fringelunatic

I have no objection to kissing, but I'd rather not have to watch 'suction cupping' - which sounds worse than it is, lol.
    I'd probably be fine if it was two guys doing it admittedly... but where I come from the idea of holding hands would be pretty brave.

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't recommend making out in public, that's always kind of gross seeing people's lips locked on each other, regardless of gender.

12. MagicalMatt

I don't think he means making out in public. I think there is a difference in making out and kissing, people.

13. Eleanor Rigby

I think the best thing to do is to ask him what he is comfortable with, and if both of you are ok for holding hands/hugging/kissing in public, I don't see any reasons not to do so.
    Personnaly I don't mind the slightest to see people kissing in public. I do that all the time.
    But here, everyone is kissing everywhere all the time : it's kind of a cultural thing :wink:

14. titaniumCloset

Whether someone is straight or gay, I don't want to see too much PDA. A short (1 second) kiss is ok, holding hands is fine, hugging is great. Making out or groping is gross and no one wants to see that.

15. MagicalMatt

I could deal with France.

16. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said I wouldn't go overboard with the PDA. A quick kiss goodbye maybe, but otherwise a hug would be perfectly acceptable, I hug my straight friends so why shouldn't I hug my boyfriend.

But it depends on where you are, I've kissed my bf goodbye at city train and bus stations because its a big city and generally people don't notice/care, I've walked through Edinburgh holding my bfs hand through busy public streets which I was so nervous about but went fine. In smaller places you have to be more discrete. Saying that I sometimes feel awkward and perhaps refrain from hugging if I'm in a small town where everyone knows me

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me PDA is this: Holding Hands, hugging, arm around one another, or kissing on the cheek or a quick peck on the lips. To me that's the most it should go.

18. VampConspiracy

<rant>
    I'm not a big fan of PDA, no matter who it's between. Of course, this matters a hell of a whole lot more in some areas than it does others. In general, if there's limited space to move around (e.g. a hallway, an aisle, a big crowd), MOVE. KEEP MOVING. And after that, KEEP MOVING SOME MORE.
    </rant>

Ahem... anyway, as long as you're reasonable about it (for the love of all that is good in the world, don't have a full-on make-out session out in public...), don't care.

19. x2x2x2x2y2

Lmfao :roflmao:

20. Beachboi92

whatever your comfortable doing in public is fine as long as clothes stay on in my opinion xD
    I personally don't see anything wrong with public make out and would love if i could find a guy that was as brave as me to do it with xD i see straight couple do it all the time so it is whatever.