1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return of the new guy (aka rioan 2.0)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rioan, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Rioan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    just out of curiousity , when most of you have come out, how do you or have you dealt with the homophobes you couldnt avoid? luckily some have already met someone to stand by em when they did. what do you do when your flyin solo?

2. fringelunatic

Well, it depends what you mean - if you mean someone shouting "fag" at you, or sniggering as you walk past, or whatever, I just ignore it - I've learned to deal with it for various reasons - I was teased for being bright at primary school, so I've developed coping techniques which I know other people have more difficulty with.
    As for acquaintances, friends, or family, I tend to ignore it too, I guess. I'm very tolerant of intolerance, which isn't really a good thing, but it is a relatively practical thing.
    I'll give you the same advice / view on things that I gave someone else on here - homophobes are just ignorant. They're like philistines. They're opposing themselves to a part of society; it's like looking at a painting, but covering up a patch on it - you don't get to see the whole beauty of the painting, and they don't get to see the whole beauty of society as a whole.

3. george678

Well I have come across as few homophobes, and I just ignore it or for example on the school bus this guy was really at it calling me all this crap and saying I speak to old men on the internet etc and I just sat upstairs out his way. Just ignore them, it's the best thing you can do.

4. Rioan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i agree but what about the phobes you cant avoid day to day. fringe i like your picture analogy but phobes dont 'see' in one day

5. fringelunatic

Well, just ignore them. The world's full of conservatives too, and I ignore them...

6. Rioan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    understood. though it answers only part of my question

7. fringelunatic

Well, perhaps, but I'm not sure I understood what you meant then. You asked what I do when I'm 'flying solo', and the homophobes I can't avoid. Well, same goes for both - I ignore them.

8. Rioan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    basically when you don't have someone in your life who cares about you and isnt a phobe aaand that you trust...thats what i mean ...sometimes its a tricky situation when you have no one to talk to

9. fringelunatic

Oh, I see, 'Going solo' to that extent. Hmm. Well, I can only beg ignorance there I'm afraid. Sorry.

10. Connor22

you see your avatar? with the hand up? just be like See this? this means I'm leaving so please do contiinue to talk shit behind my back

11. Rioan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    wow i feel old here lol