1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outed by a note!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pteen, Aug 30, 2010.

1. pteen

Well somehow a note that i had wrote in class basically explained everything and now my mom knows i'm gay. She took me to this psychiatrist and he said he believed i was born that way and the whole story (He was on my side :lol: :grin:) so it went well i think but she's all upset now and i really wish she wouldn't be :frowning2:, she is my mother after all. But either way now just about everyone knows i think i made fast progress XD :lol:.

2. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your mother took you to a psychiatrist? Good thing he was up with the times! However I think even Freud had ideas of homosexuality being inborn, but I can't be sure. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on that.

I am sorry that the outing was abrupt. However maybe it was supposed to happen this way. I really do believe everything happens for a reason, and I know that things will only become smoother over time.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to hold it against your mother too much. Remember - you've had years to come to grips with your sexuality, and she's had a day or two. Give her time to get used to the idea, and let her know you're willing to talk about it if she wants to.

Lex

4. george678

Well it's good that your out, maybe not so good that she took you too see somebody, but let her get to grips with it like Lex said. And she should come to accept you. :slight_smile:

5. peaceandlies

my parents would do something similar. i was slightly amused by the psychiatrist being on your side, and that was seriously lucky. not all of them support gay rights.

talk to your parents, really talk. she probably wont come around if you don't give her anything to consider, so try to convince her everything is okay. i have considered shoving human rights at my parents but i decided they were better off in the dark. still, if your already out, you could try that

6. pteen

i tried to do this but then it seemed to just get worst and worst she took me to counseling at least 3 times already which i don't believe is the best way to support someone. But i guess apparently she thinks so. My dad and just about everyone else is fine with it except her. So i don't know what to do anymore because i am just fed up with it at the moment.

Any thoughts?

7. TroubledRyan

She will come to terms with it in time, thats all she need.
    The councling is probly just how she's trying to deal with it, it may be more for her then you.
    Maybe you can try showing her that you are still you, and you havent changed? Maybe lunch and a nice talk?

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she keeps taking you to a counselor, may as well take advantage of the situation. Tell the counselor "My mother found out I was gay, and now she thinks by taking me here, you're going to somehow magically cure me. I'm rather certain of my sexuality, but maybe you can suggest some ways I can help her come to grips with this."

Lex