1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by travelinsoul21, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Different friend than last time.

We'll call her Bobbi.

Bobbi is dating Douchebag. Bobbi and Douchebag have a kid together. They aren't married, she isn't happy and he keeps threatening to take her kid away from her. He's the father & he has a job, but he doesnt even get them health insurance. She wants to get away from him, and I told her as soon as I'm out on my own, I will help her in whatever way I could, including a place to live.

What legal rights does she have, since they have a kid together? What would she have to do to get away from him?

They are not married.

2. titaniumCloset

Naturally I'd assume the mother has custody of the child since they're not married. I'm pretty sure legally she can take her kid and leave if she wants...a "boyfriend", even if he is the father does not seem that legal to me...however I could very well be wrong...I guess it's still half his.

3. george678

Well they both have to share the custody of the child. There are the legal rights, if she wants to move away from him he still has the right to see the child as much as she does. It's 50 50.

But, if he takes the child and doesn't bring it back and like cuts contact with you, that child abduction I think.