1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy Update [Long Read]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, Aug 31, 2010.

1. subaru000

If you're new to how I approach a girl or guy, it takes a little while for me to warm up to him or her. I'll have to want to approach someone instead of them trying to approach me and conversing. Not the best way to get to know someone but that way of thinking is newly gone.

In the last two days of school, (there's only been three so far), I began noticing a guy that seemed to stick out to me. (Lex and others who have read about him, you know who I am refrencing to, so skip a few paragraphs). He's really striking I think and someone I could see myself at least being friends with.

Flash forward to today. After the usual Composition class, I walked out with my brother and exited the building where I saw him (his name is Dennis). I thought that was a little weird because the previous times I saw him it would be later in the afternoon. After seeing him, [I have a 3 hour break between first and second classes until mid-Sept] I got the usual sinking of my heart and thumping of my chest and lumping in my throat but this time I noticed he looked at me a millisecond or so too long. It was weird because I would think by now he would know that I have a twin brother but that is beside the point of this thread.

An hour or so later, I got bored and the only thing that was on my mind was tea. I bought tea a few days before and drank a little bit, outside and I began taking in the beauty of the campus where I attend college. Another half an hour passes by and I decide to call my mom and that is where I saw him again. This time, he was walking near the library where he met up with some friends and talked with them, a blonde at first and then the two of them talked to two more friends of the girl where he and another guy were introducing themselves. {I don't consider that to be stalkerish because I was at least 50 feet away on the other side of the campus where it is like a park}. He and the others were in sight of me and I think he glanced at me once or twice, where I was seriously talking to my mom about some things to waste time (I used the conversation with my mom as a prop, really) and five or so minutes, the four of them left.

After my Math class, things got interesting. :icon_wink. I walked to my Government class, completely neutral and thinking of what was going to happen, where I noticed that the door was locked and classmates were waiting. Wouldn't you know that he was there, a foot or so away from me! He looked around and asked ME :slight_smile:eek:!!!) if I had this class (which more than likely meant that he noticed the looks and glances earlier, he was passing by and for some reason I waved at him. I don't know why really) and he and I shook hands (I think there was something there) and he introduced himself as Dennis. I told him my name and from there we went to talking about the class and what he thought of it and I told him a little more about the homework and things just to confirm that he did the right things. There were two other guys around, both straight I'm more than sure, and one of them barely noticed Dennis and I's conversation and the other looked at me in the eye and then looked around. I think there was something there, my heart was thumping really really fast and his eyes, those blue and grey eyes and the thick accent reduced me to sand... Other things were happening too but that's not appropriate either. :eusa_liar. Anywho, we got to chatting (he's Ukranian and speaks that and Russian and it is his first year in college) and I asked if he wanted to sit by me. He said yes and he wanted to know where I sat in the class so I directed him to the lonely side of the classroom. After we sat down and got our notes and stuff out for class, for some reason or another, I told him about my hometown (New Orleans) and he wanted to know more about what happened and all of those details so I told him more about it, something I know I wouldn't do but it felt right I guess.

As class went on, he ended up speaking more about the issues of Government and I remained in awe of what happened between he and I. I figured out how much it would cost me for the tea that I devoured earlier today (the Boston Tea Party was talked about in class so it saddened me a bit). Class was dismissed about an hour later and I waited for him to got his things together and we walked out together (another guy held the door for me) and he asked me if I thought it was cold in the class (it was the first day but now it's fine). After that, he and I walked near the parking lot where my mom saw he and I walking together (that's the one thing I kind of feared but honestly walking with another guy while wanting to get to know him better felt pretty normal). He wanted to know if I had a car and I told him that I didn't. We talked for a little longer and he said that he was off to his next class; I told him "Nice to meet you," he wanted to know if I were going to be there on Thursday (and he wanted to know if I went to school on Wednesdays) and he told me "See you Thursday."

Edit: On the walk out, I also asked him if he wanted to sit by me on Thurs. and he said yes.

#1 subaru000, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You see him using technique? Finding the common ground, asking questions based on it ("Are you in this class too?"), and then continuing the conversation as it gains momentum? Works, don't it? :slight_smile:

Lex

3. subaru000

It's gotten me this far. When we were departing (honestly I wanted to keep talking to him but now I convinced my mom to park further away :thumbsup: [just kidding]) I did notice that he took a little while to watch me go. Not watching me go in my mom's car but watching me make the eye contact with him and then watch me leave initially. I think you know what I'm saying.

His hands are so soft too..... Why am I daydreaming? And what techniques, anyway?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You realize that with all these long looks you're noticing...he's noticing that you're giving them back, right? Nothing wrong with it, but don't think that he's the only one giving them. :slight_smile:

And don't start picking out rings just yet. You're on the right path, so keep it going. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. subaru000

No rings yet? Darn it.

What should I think of trying to ask him on Thursday? I'm sure what will happen and thinking of what might happen will be two different things.

6. RedState

Well, everyone is hard to read when you first meet them...but it sounds like you may be on to something. It sounds like this guy is certainly dropping a line in the water, it's just not clear yet on what kind of fish he is trying to catch.

When first meeting someone in that climate, eye contact (the infamous lingering gaze) is always a dead give away.

I wouldn't make any assumptions yet, but I would keep on your current course to see where this may go. It sounds like you're on the right track.

7. subaru000

Another good day between Dennis and I; if not, a little better.

After Composition, I saw him again. This time, he noticed me and stopped walking to his class to try and catch up and talk with me. Unfortunately, I was on the phone with my mom and unusually she went on and on and on about something.:eusa_doh: As I was on the phone, I noticed that he got his phone out of his pocket and looked my way so I knew that he wanted my number. While I was talking with her, Dennis introduced himself as Dennis to my brother and my brother introduced himself to Dennis as I was on the phone, desperately trying to end the conversation. He was giving me eye contact as I was on the phone kind of protectively, using himself as a prop to keep my brother conversing, so that meant something to me, actually. That was nice of him to do that, I think. Dennis wanted to know my brother's classes and how many he was enrolled in so it was like an actual conversation. A few minutes later, it was time for him to go to his next class and I felt really bummed. My heart was hurting the tiniest bit. As he was walking away, he gave me eye contact that was like saying "We'll pick this up where we left off."

I didn't know what to do next, so I took a break in a chair under the tree near the building Dennis went. The goal this time was to try and talk to him alone, just he and I, to test the waters and see how things would go with us in private. An hour passed or so and Mother Nature alarmed my bladder so once again I couldn't talk to him but I had to pee so it wasn't a big deal. Following my heart instead of my mind made the rest of the day busy and tiring but it led to something.

My brother and I caught up on things and I asked him, rather bluntly, "What did you think of Dennis?" just to see how their first impressions would go. He told me that he thought that he was cool and he could see the two of us "hanging out."

After Math, I went to Gov't and sat down. Three or so minutes later he walked in and he gave me eye contact and said hey to me and we went through the lecture. This time, I did notice that he was trying to talk to me more in class, trying to make me laugh and all (trying to win me over, haha). It worked out in the end, as I gave him my number and we are now texting.

More things I noticed:

1) My brother is acting kind of weird I believe. When Dennis and I walked with each other and traded numbers, he was there, acting like the parentals would on a date. Weird.

2) As my brother and I were walking towards the car, Dennis told us both to have a good weekend, but as we were walking further apart, he was looking at me with the long stare.

3) I'm getting the feeling that I should end up only being friends with him unless The Big Guy and Lady Luck prove otherwise. My mind is agreeing but I would hate to start something only to make it end bitterly or have a relationship from a long distance because I don't like where I live. (This is thinking months down the road, I know).

Lex and other readers, what are your thoughts? Is he sounding more like he plays for our team?

8. RaRa

Definitely.

I want weekly updates. This is fun, especially since I'm trying to court a few people myself. :wink:

9. subaru000

Only if I get the same from you, :thumbsup:, haha. Good luck on your end though, seriously.

One possible deal-breaker it might seem is that he is only 17 and in early-college (he and I are in Composition 2 and he's not even a freshmen. How smart does that make me look?). I told him that he looks older than I do and he said that "I know." (So he has at least looked at me?). I thought about that while I was at the nail salon with my mom (she got her nails done, not me) and it actually is fine with me. Imagine being 17, in a real college for the first time, and you noticed someone who struck your fancy and wanted to talk to them, only knowing what they look like as a refrence. Not really easy, is it? I find that admirable, very admirable. And the law in Florida says that I can be as old to 23 and date someone as young as 16 (creepy), so legally if we go that far, the law is with us. I told him that I am 19 and I'd be 20 in May [where did the time go by, seriously???] and that hopefully my age wouldn't scare him away and he said, and I quote, "Of course not :-D."

What do you guys think?

He was out doing some volunteer hours required for scholarships so afterwards he told me he would take a nap. I did too.

Lex (and RaRa and bamaboy): Where should things go after today? Friends or ______? (not f***-buddies, that's not how I roll). I am genuinely interested in the person that he is; aside from striking looks and a thick accent, and I would like to spend more time with him to see where things go.

10. RedState

Well...God...I'm about to start a relationship with someone that has to have a fake ID to get into a bar, so I don't know if I'm the best one to give advice on the age thing. But, I freely admit my flaws and I accept that I am a tragically flawed human...i drink too much...i cuss too much...I'm a Baptist...I'm gay...and did i mention i drink too much?

2 or 3 years difference of age is not that big of a difference....but when you consider 17 vs 20 or 21...it changes the entire picture. I don't care what anyone says, there is a huge difference between the teens and the 20's.

BUT....just keep cool with this...force nothing and assume nothing. If you enter into a relationship do so realizing that this will probably be somewhat short term...but sometimes those can be fun...as long as you don't get too caught up with them.

#10 RedState, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  11. RaRa

I wouldn't look into the age thing that much. 3 years (in May, until than it's only 2 :wink:) isn't a big deal at all. Also, he seems pretty mature for his age, so it doesn't seem like there would be an imbalance of power if a relationship happens.

You should start with being friends. Anything after that is just a bonus, right? If nothing ends up happening it's always good to have new friend. :slight_smile:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>But, I freely admit my flaws and I accept that I am a tragically flawed human...i drink too much...i cuss too much...I'm a Baptist...I'm gay...and did i mention i drink too much?

Threadjack for two observations.

* There's a difference between admitting your flaws and being proud of them.
    * Being gay isn't a flaw - tragic or otherwise. Neither is being Baptist.

Lex

13. subaru000

Let's see here. Yesterday, he asked me what I thought of about class and he mentioned "hot girls," a few times and that got me a little concerned. I think I may be getting mixed reactions from him because we're working on trying to talk to each other by ourselves (my brother was the reason why we didn't the first time, and my mom during the phone call) so what and why do you think he would tell me the time that his class begins? Kind of fishy to me but I have to remember that he is younger than me.

When I say something that I regret, I tell him sorry and he tells me to relax. Earlier today, I texted him "Good morning," and he wanted to know how I was and I told him that I wasn't feeling the best. (I'm not really feeling great. Don't know why, I just woke up feeling bad) and he told me that he hopes I get well. He also wanted to know if I were staying home and I told him that we were at the store (I felt dizzy and weak kind of but it happens to everyone). I asked him if he felt good and he said that he did. The conversation ended when he told me that he has a prepaid phone and his texts were running out; that I know would be true so I brushed it off.

So, what do you (my newly formed fan-club of three) think? I think that not texting him until after class on Tuesday will definately give me time to reset and guage where I am with things. I really want to get to know him (why would hee stop and see me, whip out his phone and then be happy that I'm trying to arrange things so we can talk together?) but the main things preventing me is myself it seems. What if I try harder than him to want to start something, or what if I don't feel that emotional support from him? It's getting personal now, haha.

What do you three think of me and the situation?

14. RaRa

Have you guys ever hung out outside of campus? Maybe to go for coffee/lunch or something? It seems once you guys are comfortable enough to do that everything else will just fall into place.

You should have built up on that hot girl thing a bit more though. He could be straight, he could be bi (possible), or he could just be covering himself up.

I'm gonna take Lex's spot (sorry!) and write that your response to him after that hot girl comment should have been "she's nice, but x (a guy) isn't that bad either."

15. subaru000

I was thinking of that but I did say "Eh" to the girl comment. That's the best I could do... No we haven't, we've only known each other for a week now. Come to think of it, I was going to say that he was hot or something along those lines but I didn't. Still, I'm pretty sure he at least wants to talk to me alone so that's got to mean something on his end. He taled to me first. And he didn't freak out about my age. And he's the one that wants to talk with me before and after class. And he's paying money to text me. How could he be straight after all of this?

There's a cafe' at the campus but that's not really outside of campus. The campus is across the street from a baseball stadium and a US Highway so there's a lot to be fearful of as far as that goes. To the east of the deathway, I haven't really been much. There's a big shopping mall a mile or two away if I'm not mistaken but that's beside the point. I'm just hoping that he and I can talk on Tuesday and I can see if he is actually into me or not without sounding like I'm the one that controls everything.

#15 subaru000, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  16. subaru000

Sorry to post another comment, but I am more than sure what this is going to boil down to.

If bamaboy weren't here then this would be a very tough sell, but he and I were discussing when I first joined here about the city of Charlotte, NC. For those that don't know about the city, it is one that is up and coming, with little in the way of a bright future except its own identity. Anywho, I have and been wanting to at least visit there for months now and things are going in my favor for the funds to be there and lately everyone in these parts of Florida are abandoning ship. I know that the city is a nice one and the people look to be rather accepting but two things stick out in my mind. As soon as I visited the city's site, I scrolled down and saw that it is an IGLTA city, which I'm assuming is good, but I have done a good deal of research and I found a Gay and Lesbian non-profit organization that is like a hangout spot for LGBT youth ages 13 to 23. :icon_bigg. That would be wicked to go to and make friends at, when things swing my way. When I get my Associate's, I'll hopefully have convinced my mom to live there with me (brother doesn't care where we live, as long as the people are friendly), and we'll have a good life there.

That dream is ten months or so from now. Currently, Dennis is the only guy I have ever felt the urge of wanting to know as more than a friend and those feelings are new to me. I would HATE for him to get to know me at any level and I know that in my heart, I am not happy. I have moved at least three times before and I know how it is to get to know a person and then see them go. When my mom had to move back to New Orleans from Dallas, I had a bunch of friends there and they all got to know me really well (I was 10 or 11 at the time). We moved back to New Orleans and a few days later, I had a big envelope in the mail filled with letters from all of the classmates, some of which were even from new kids that never got to know me but only heard of me from the other students. Florida has been nothing but bad to me and my family and we have all wanted to move since we've grown to know the area and when things finally align themselves correctly, I'm 1000% sure we will leave here once and for all.

So what am I to do? I think the best thing for me to do is to remain friends with him and on Tuesday try to tell him that I do not like it here by asking what brought him here to try and soften the blow a bit. I don't like dropping bombs on people but if it is for my happiness and state of mind, even my sanity, then I am going to do all that I can to drop hints here and there while trying not to deepen ANYTHING unless he wants to, fully knowing the conditions and circumstances as well.

Again, sorry for my second posting, but I know that this time The Big Guy wanted me to choose between what I think would be love or what He knows my destiny is and as much as it pains me in my heart of letting someone go, I think the best thing to do is follow my dreams..... :tears: :tears: :tears:

17. RedState

Threadjack...no.

Just laughing at myself...thank God the good Lord gave us the ability to laugh at ourselves...that way I am constantly amused.

18. RedState

Well, listen: if your tenure there is going to be that of a short-timer...then you really can't have anything of substance because..well..the obvious..you will be moving away.

Long distance relationships aren't relationships at all...they are simply complicated crushes that never end well.

If you just want to hook up, then..well there you go. A fun boy-toy and when you are ready to move, to Charlotte or where ever, it's over.

If you want to pursue this further, do so understanding that you run the risk of major heart burn...unless that person is willing to follow you (and at 17, that seems a little unlikely).

I don't mean to be harsh....but I think it's a dose of realistic expectations you are looking for. Hope I was able to help.

19. subaru000

He would be 18 but still. 18 and 20 doesn't go really well considering that the 20 year old wants to move. I would like to only be friends with him because nothing worse would happen. I just don't know exactly how to phrase "Oh, I thought you were interested in me but I have to tell you that I'm considering moving away," lightly. Then again, I will have told him in the third week of school and for at least twelve more, we can be friends and see what comes of that.

I think that sounds like the happy medium I was looking for. But what if he wants something more than friends and I decide not to move in the end?

20. RaRa

In that case you guys could develop something, but until than it seems like friends it is. :slight_smile: