1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Again, my mom is making my life a living hell.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Sep 3, 2010.

1. She's been getting drunk every day this week. She'll usually be hammered by two in the afternoon. For the last two days, I've caught her talking to her ex multiple times. Her ex has a (permanent, I believe) no-contact order against her from a domestic violence incident in May of 2009. She's already been taken to jail three times for violating the no-contact order. I've been taking the phone from her and hiding her keys to prevent her ex from calling the cops when she goes over the top since June. Her ex will text her and call her for hours. I'm certain that they're still in a relationship, but they're hiding it from me. I've saved her from going at least 4 times since then. I'm getting tired of taking care of her. I can't have my friends over when she's drunk and I can't leave. If I do, she'll go to jail. I know that I'm enabling a criminal and throwing my own life away by giving her more chances, but I'm tired of doing this. I've been taking care of her since I was 7 or 8, and it's taking a toll on my mental health. It was improving for a while, but now I'm getting more paranoid and scared.

My dad tells me that I need to stop protecting her and just call CPS. He says I'm only delaying her eventual arrest. He's telling me that I need to worry about myself and not try to save her. I disagree. I know that what I'm doing is wrong and I'm only buying time, but it's the only way that she can live a relatively normal life. If I don't intervene, she'll be alternating between jail and binge drinking. I know that I'm already irreparably damaged from all of this, but I still feel like I can do something to save her from herself. Even if she's willing to go to jail and lose everything for her ex, I won't let her go down in flames in my presence. She might have already failed me, but I won't fail her.

What the fuck am I going to do? :help:

2. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

My Dad is an acoholic too. Not just a normal alcoholic, but I mean losing multiple jobs and totaling every car we get. He's been to jail numerous times. I've been in similar situations, whether I'm in the car with him and he kicks me out in the middle of nowhere 'cause he's constantly drunk or he's throwing bottles at me. I try to distance myself from him. We can get along at times.

I feel like I have to save my Mom too. She is always in fucked up relationships. Her current boyfriend is married and a different religion.

You need to try and stay with your Dad. Seriously, Distance yourself from the situation. If someone wants to get better and beat addiction they have to want it themselves, you can't really do anything. Believe me, I understand in my own way what you're going through. Whether it was my Dad leaving me home alone for days at a time or my uncle overdosing and dying in a crackhouse, I understand addiction and feeling helpless.

3. WanderingRabbit

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only heard ways that she is making her life a living hell. Sounds like you're making you're life one too by not letting her mess up on her own. You can't be responsible for babysitting your mom, dude.

4. Blondie

Blondie Guest

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>My dad tells me that I need to stop protecting her and just call CPS. He says I'm only delaying her eventual arrest. He's telling me that I need to worry about myself and not try to save her. I disagree. I know that what I'm doing is wrong and I'm only buying time, but it's the only way that she can live a relatively normal life. If I don't intervene, she'll be alternating between jail and binge drinking. I know that I'm already irreparably damaged from all of this, but I still feel like I can do something to save her from herself.

The thing is - in situations like this, you're not pulling her up to your level. She's dragging you down to hers. You say if you don't intervene, she'll alternate between jail and binge drinking. Right now, she's just binge drinking, which hardly seems like it's all that better. People in your mother's situation can't be gently nudged to do the right thing. They need some pretty big wake-up calls to get their life in order. I'm siding with your father. Call CPS.

Lex

6. flymetothemoon

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I really think your dad is right. You should call CPS and let them know what is going on. Doing so isn't saying that you don't love your mom or don't care about her. You're calling because you do care about her, but you know that things aren't right. Actually, if you call CPS and they come in and take you away, it might be what she needs to get help to be honest. Most people in situations like that need a pretty big wake up call before they'll get things straightened out, and having you taken away and having to figure things out on her own might really help her see what she needs to do. Often times, CPS can work with the parents to help them find the help they need and get their lives in order and their kids back, so it could actually give her a little bit of a support system if she wants the help.