1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socializing Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

So I finally moved back to college after having the summer off. And while the college I transferred to is really close to home, I still don't know anyone here except for my roommate. What I'm noticing is that I'm having issues with approaching people and socializing. I just have no clue what to say to people, and I'm petrified of what they may think of me.

I don't want this to be like last year; I actually want to meet people and socialize, but I'm just not sure what to do. I'm going to go to the Student Activities office when it opens to get information about various clubs. I also hope to try and meet people when classes start on the 8th.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :slight_smile: .

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! A good topic to start a conversation would be to start talking about the courses that you take, in which programme you are in, and which classes you find interesting. If you meet someone new, try to chat a bit about school, and then take it from there. Build on it. Also, stay with topics that you feel comfortable talking about.

Try going into a conversation without being afraid of what others might think about you. Just be yourself. To lessen your fears a bit, why not ask your roommate to join you for a coffee/drink on campus or off campus, and try talking with him in a different setting, and try talking about a couple of things.

I think trying to find out what clubs are on campus, and wanting to meet people and socialize are already two steps forward. Also, maybe try finding out if there is a LGBT group on campus. If there is, and they are active, try to join them.

Hope this helps a bit!