1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my new roomie

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Prccgeek, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Prccgeek

I thought this would be really simple. I had planned to come out eventually to my roommate and not try to rush it. But it feels horrible. I think she is just wonderful and we are getting along wonderfully. It feels like we have known each other forever, which makes me feel horrible when I am keeping this secret from her. She said the other night that I was so wonderful because I was not afraid to be myself. It made me feel awful. I am loving everything about college so far....I haven't gotten homesick, I have made a ton of great friends, and I love the campus. but this one thing is just making me feel sick. I have to tell her soon. I hate being back in the closet! I had finally done it in high school and now I have to come out all over again. I didn't see this stressing me out a lot but it is. Any advice on how to approach her on it? I don't want it to be a big sit down, but I just can't find a time to slip it into normal conversation.

2. concklin

Since you guys are so close, I'm sure there are times where you hang out; just the 2 of you, right?

So come out to her during one of your roomie bondings.

If she really is this great person that you make her sound like, then she will be fine with it. If not, remind her of how great you thought she was - just like you said here - and that you really thought she'd be accepting of you and that it hurts that she isn't. (I'm assuming it will hurt if she's not accepting since you get along with her so much right now)

3. UserName

I would bring it up confidently while in random conversation or make it a point to let her know that you are a lesbian with out her thinking that you are 'hitting' on her. Or you could always write her a note so that you could express what your trying to say more easily, but I would think talking to her in person would be a better idea so you don't have to wait in anxiety and you can see her natural reaction to your telling her. Either way I am sure you will be fine! People in college are really not as close-minded as one would possibly think and I know girls love gay guys but not too sure on gay girls... lol. Wish I could be of more help, good luck! :slight_smile:

4. adam88

I'm in the same situation... and one of my roomies is gay (and the other not only knows but is totally okay with it) so I don't know why I'm waffling so much. :frowning2:

5. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Do you think she will be accepting?

6. Prccgeek

yeah...she'd be cool...I just have to get myself to do it. I will eventually.Thanks everyone.