1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by splattered, Sep 6, 2010.

1. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Is it possible to have a relationship with bi-polar disorder? I have a few things that are wrong with me mentally and I like to drink it helps me escape. I'm a good guy though and I have interests I'm into sports I've played hockey and football growing up I'm into music I play guitar I've been in quite a few bands. I even have a business. But I feel like this is an obstacle that really gets in the way of having a relationship. I don't want to be alone but this thing is debilitating. I could understand a person telling me that they can't be with someone who is unstable.

2. starbucksshoote

One of my best friends is married to someone with bi-polar disorder. It did straing their marriage for a while, but through medication they are doing better.

I think bi-polar disorder will require medication to help even things out - although I'm by no means an expert on this issue. Have you consulted with a doctor or a therapist?

3. splattered

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah I had a long manic episode about a year ago and spent a week in a facility. I'm back to being myself again and I don't think I will ever go through something that severe again. I'm on some pills I'm down to about six a day which is good. At one point was taking well over 10 pills a day. I'm thankful I was finally diagnosed with something and prescribed medication to balance me out. Its been a rough year. I started seeing a therapist to open up about some things I feel ashamed of like bisexuality but I stopped going because I found it too difficult to open up or that I didn't want to open up. I would get there and have nothing to talk about so I decided it wasn't worth it. But I still see a doctor for pills. I would like to have a relationship but I don't know if I'm capable of maintaining one. I'm not always 100% there. I'm usually not. Things kind of seem like a blur a lot of the time. It seems like I have more bad days than good days and who would want to put up with that?