1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sensitive

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confused102188, Sep 8, 2010.

1. confused102188

Lately I've been really sensitive like ill cry over anything. I just came out of the closet like two weeks ago and I'm really stressed so maybe that has something to do with it. Like this morning I was driving to work and pinks song glitter came on and one of the lyrics really struck me and I literally started balling. did this happen to anyone else when they first came out?

2. MagicalMatt

I read that and I expected it to say your age was like 16 or something. But nope, it sounds like you're just an emotional person (like me!). Some of us are just affected more by the simple things.

3. RaRa

Kinda. I still can cry over small things but I've always been like that, not just cause I told people about my gayness.

There's nothing wrong with being sensitive anyway. Better than being a robot.

4. 16bit

Out Status:
    A few people
    agreed ^^
    it's worse to just keep the emotions bottled up, so kudos to you for having a heart :slight_smile:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very common after starting your coming out process. Think about it... you've kept who you are bottled up inside for 20 years. Now you're coming out and feeling and living the real you for the first time, so yes, having a lot of strong emotions pop up at odd or inappropriate times is not at all unusual.

Welcome it. That might sound hard, but it is a really healthy thing to experience strong emotions and let them out... it's a big part of what helps you feel alive.

Things will normalize soon enough, as you become more comfortable with who you are, and adjust to being out and being yourself.

Feel free to message me if you would like to talk more about this.

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Chip: it's quite common.

After all, when your main concern is outing yourself through any inadvertent action, showing emotions is the last thing you want to do. you learn to control your face, what you look at, what you say to people, and even what you say to yourself in the privacy of your own mind.

And when you come out, and it turns out that most people don't mind, and it's OK to be yourself, you stop maintaining that wall and those things you never allowed yourself to feel slipped through.

And that's a good thing, really. At first it's a bit disconcerting. you're not used to it, and some things can come with some baggage you built up but never dealt with.

The good news is that the sudden intensity dies down after a while. After being overwhelmed, you learn to deal with emotions better, and you also learn to be a bit more open with others, because dealing with emotions is only half as hard if you share them with other people. And pretty soon you discover that you're getting used to the situation and going back to normal.

The advice I'd give would be to talk to someone about it. Just bring it up to one of the people you're out to, if only as: "now this is an interesting thing I've noticed.."
    It makes things a lot easier, and they might have some stories of their own that will make you more comfortable.

7. PhilL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya, Same thing happend to me to when I came out, I'm an emotional person anyway but somebody sent me a nice e-mail, would think of friends that live overseas, I heard a certain song or somebody was nice to me and that was it would start crying and would find it hard to stop (still do sometimes).

Don't worry it will get better (*hug*) best not to bottle your emotions up

#7 PhilL, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. confused102188

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I'm actually crying reading it. Uggh:icon_sad:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once had to pull over because a song on the radio made me cry. It was by Green Day, which confuses me to this day. :slight_smile: Let yourself cry and get it out. If you're still in the same spot in a week or so, you might think about investigating it further.

Lex

10. Eleanor Rigby

(*hug*)
    It's completly Ok to cry and let things out. I do that all the time :wink: (and not because of anything, it's just the emotionnal freak I am :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).
    But I think the posters above are right : you suddenly don't have to keep control of yourself like you used too and things that you may have been botteling for a long time are just suddenly rising to the surface. Allows them to do so, and allow yourself to experience this.
    Things will probably settle down after a little, but anyway keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with emotions and that letting them out is a far easiest way to deal with them than trying to keep a grip on them.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

11. Root

I go through stages of regular crying. Not depressed as I normally would be, just very emotional. Usually related to memories.