1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mind/body split

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tinkerbell, Sep 24, 2007.

1. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have had a mind/body split since I was nine, and it has steadily worsened up to this point, nine years later, when I cannot tell when I am hungry unless I am really really hungry, I cannot tell if I have to go to the bathroom (at all. I need some serious help), etc. I can feel physical sensations such as pain and pleasure, but to a muted extent. Day after day it worsens, little by little. I used to bounce up and down a couple of times and be back in my body a little bit for about fifteen minutes. It stopped working, so I had my friends grab me by the shoulders and shake me. They soon stopped for fear of giving me whiplash, but it was quite effective because I could really feel my body and it lasted for about an hour or two each time. I used to dance, and that helped. The few times I have done yoga in the past years have also really helped. I understand that mind/body splits are between psychological and biological (I forgot what the word is), and I want it to go away. I want to feel things the way other people do, darn it. It seems that I am the only person in the world with a mind/body split. Literally no one else I know/have met/whatever has one. Cutters seem to think that they have a MBS but I find that they do not fit the criteria and anyway, most of them have overdone drama and it irritates me to listen to them--the ones I have become acquainted with, anyway. Pardon my rambling.

How do I make the split go away? Why am I the only one?

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I'm sure your not the only one,I tried to find info on someone who knows what you have and how to better it,but I can't find anything sorry.Has anyone taken you to see someone about it?

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    tinkerbell.....I would ask the same question. Have you seen anybody about this? I'm sure you are not alone in this. It's just a matter of finding the right resources.

4. surfrboykai

that's kinda freaky. i mean, i don't mean any offense by it, but i've never heard of that. i'm shure a doc has though, i think it might be more mental than physical though.

5. EthanS

EthanS Guest

waT?? how??? :confused: so.. your not in your body? im confused

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've read of children and adults who cannot feel pain. In fact, there was an epsidode of Grey's Anatomy that talked about this. I'm not sure this is the same thing that tinkerbell is talking of though.

7. SpikySpice

I dont know much about this...but Im sure Jayhew willl help you out

The brain is the one taht controls your feelings, like Kai said, maybe it's more mental then physical I guess...

But you need to go see soemone near your area.

8. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

I think it's when you don't feel your body at all,so you could sit on a hot stove and not even know your getting burned

9. SpikySpice

so that means it's really dangerous, but maybe it's not that serious, because who wanna sit on a stove lol

ive been thinking bout this, like when you get electric shot, can you feel it? If not, then you may be injury, but i think it's quite a strong wave of energy so you can feel it

10. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Like I posted above, I can feel physical pain and pleasure. I just can't feel sensations. I guess I'll see a doctor about it.

11. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Tinkerbell, what you describe is a form of Disassociation that is known to happen to those who have experienced an abusive or traumatic event early in life. It is part and parcel of things that happen also with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) Anxiety or Panic Attacks, Chronic Stress, and other situations that are a result of psychological trauma.

In a number of situations individuals will experience somatic complaints from pain, to nausea, vomiting, to not feeling various parts of their body, to not being able to have certain sensations, etc. It is found that many suffer from a significant traumatic event in their lives and have suppressed it, yet it perks underneath. In many chronic stress situations the individual eventually can develop a feeling as being separated from their body, that they tend to see their body acting and performing while they are watching from a distance or that they are not associated with it at all, but off in a different world.

So it is with some who develop the form of Disassociation where somatic complaints include not being able to feel when they need to urinate or even defecate. Some are so highly disassociated that they can't feel pain or at least don't react to it and don't note it.

I would suggest strongly you seek the help of a professional in the field of Psychology or Psychiatry as what you are experiencing is a high form of Disassociation. Exactly what the basis for the stress and reactions to it are from is not easily done here or via PM, but will take some significant work with someone you can form a trust with and is educated properly in offering treatment.

Good luck and I know it has to be very frustrating to you to feel this way, but seek the help and keep us posted. My best wishes to you.

12. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sending you a PM anyway. I don't want to broadcast my reaction on this post. Thank you very much for the information.