1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling another guy that you like him

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by subaru000, Sep 13, 2010.

1. subaru000

What are the "rules" of telling someone that you like them? Who tells who first? I am new to the "I have a crush and I might like you," fiasco and some advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes you don't need to say anything right away, talk to person, make eye contact and touch him a little (nothing nasty just like on the arm or shoulder.) You can say 0something like: "I like talking to you" or "Its cool that we hang out"

It hard telling someone you like them, especially if you don't know if you they like you too.

3. subaru000

Sounds like the best thing to do would be keeping things subtle. He's touched my arm and has given me eye contact so those signs are there. He has introduced me to his friends as well. Half of me wants to flat out tell him but that's the bad half :slight_smile:icon_wink); the smarter (and harder to reach) half tells me it would be best to see where things go and take things slow at the same time.

I guess what I'm trying so say is that I want him to "know" without telling him?

4. s5m1

I am unclear from your post if you each know that the other is gay. Assuming that is the case, another approach is to first spend some more time with him to develop the relationship, before telling him how you feel. Ask him to grab a bite to eat or to go watch a game somewhere. It does not really matter what you do, as long as it gives you two the opportunity to spend time together, get to know each other and see if there is actually something more there. I generally think this is a better approach than out of the blue telling someone you like them.

5. subaru000

I am not totally sure myself but he's done things that makes me think that he may be interested. I made a thread two weeks or so ago about it and for the most part the responses (besides my overreaction) were to ask him or try and talk to him alone. Tomorrow I'll have time to talk to him, just he and I, and I hope to get to the bottom of something (gay or straight, particularly) because he has given me signs of being interested since the second week we've met.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    touching is a real sign that something is up, was it like a high 5 touch or an arm touch, or a chest (my personal favorite).

But if he is touching you a lot then there is a gay vibe

7. subaru000

He brushed my arm when I told him that I thought I did good on a test I took. And he patted my back Thursday when he sat next to me for Government class.

At the minimum, I would like to know if he is (or is not) talking to anyone outside of school to better get a guage on things. For the time bbeing, how could I ask that without coming across as weird?

#7 subaru000, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, thats the trick. If he isn't gay its going to come across as "weird".
    In my opinion just tell him that you like him and see how things go.

9. Holmes

Stick to the old rule. The boy tells first.

I'm trying to think back to how things started between me and my boyfriend. We just met for longer and longer at a time. The first time we kissed, when we met, I walked us up past the coffee place he thought we were going, up to a quiet place of a park. We were talking, and at a lull in the conversation, I asked if he'd like to go for a proper date sometime soon.

In the times coming up to that, there were hints like, I'm sure I'll see you soon again for something like this.

10. subaru000

I think he might be into me. He wanted to know where I was a few times on days where we didn't talk in the morning, when he saw me on the phone with my mom, he pulled out his phone to try and get my number. I think he's into me but one of us has yet to tell the other. So I will.

Now onto formulate the words... Haha.

Here's a bit more backstory:

I'm 19, he's 17 and Ukrainian. It's legal, according to Florida law, for someone as old as 23 to have a relationship (including sexual) with someone as young as 16.

He talked to me first so I'm thinking I should be the one to tell him how I feel.

#10 subaru000, Sep 13, 2010
  11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nothing ventured nothing gained

12. blankpaper

You've put quite a bit of thought into dating this guy! Sounds a bit like your heart is set on this happening. I'm not saying it won't but just don't get your hopes up so much that you end up getting hurt if it doesn't work out. None of us want that!!

Have you ever brought up the subject of being gay with him? If not, maybe you should just see where he stands about it and who knows, maybe that conversation will open some doors for you.

#12 blankpaper, Sep 13, 2010
  13. subaru000

Not yet but I intend to, just not sure how to bring it up.

His actions are telling me one thing but I know that there's the slimmest chance he could be straight. I can't forget about that. It's still a matter of definitively asking him if he plays for Team Gay or not.

#13 subaru000, Sep 13, 2010
  14. blankpaper

Okay good :slight_smile: I'm sure you'll find a good way to bring it up. For me I usually get on the topic of something that is gay related that is in the news or public eye. That way it's not totally out there to bring it up. WBC and Prop 8 are my favorite topics to bring up but thats just me. I hope you find something that works for you and get the response you want!

15. subaru000

I guess I'm going to ask if he's talking to anyone outside of school, girl or guy, to see if he is or isn't gay. That's such a personal question to ask I think so I know it's going to be awkward...

I just hope he is because all of the signs are pointing to that. At least it seems like it.

16. blankpaper

For your sake I hope so as well! Just curious: if he asked you if you were gay would you come out to him flat out? Because I could see asking him if he's seeing a girl or a guy outside of school could lead to him turning the question back on you.

As for the question being personal that could depend on how you phrase it I think. I feel like if you ask him very seriously, and he /is/ gay but not comfortable with it or not ready to come out, there could be awkwardness. Or if he is straight it could also be awkward. I feel like being light about it and showing him that you are 100% okay with whatever he may happen to be is best. Good Luck!

17. s5m1

Rather than asking if he is gay, perhaps you should weave into a conversation that you are gay. Or, you can talk about things that make it clear that you are gay. That will then give him the opening to come out to you.

18. subaru000

Today was kind of a rough draft day. I asked I told him that I wanted to ask him something and I also wanted to know if his friends would be around later (turns out they weren't). After classes, he and I walked around the campus; he was wondering what student activites were available and how he was doing in the class and I showed him around. After that, the two of us met with my brother, we talked for five or so munutes and my brother and I left. While my bro and I were walking, the "crush guy" looked at me with that "look" and we parted ways.

So, telling him how I feel is delayed. Now onto ideas.

19. lostinthought9

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if I repeat someone else's advice. I think you should tell him you're gay. Just casually work it into a convo you two are having. Say "I just thought you should know this since we're close friends and all. Is that going to be a problem?" (or something similar). He may respond with something positive, which will later on encourage you to share your feelings for him. He may also show distate that you're gay, which, in any case wouldn't be the end of the world, considering you don't need a friend like that anyway. And, of course, best-case scenario, you tell him you're gay, and he then tells you that he is as well. Then, you two can continue to be "friends." :slight_smile:

Either way, good luck, and keep us posted! :slight_smile:

20. peaceandlies

yeah. i was planning on you coming out before i finished reading and discovered everyone else said it first. do the usual - find out his views on gay rights and such. then if he's against, give it up. if he's for, then come out, and if he's not gay, then nothing's lost, and he'll probably stay friends with you.