1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To move or not to move...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiender, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Fiender

Okay, here's how it is:

I'm living in Watertown NY, still at home with the family. I work part-time as an overnight cashier at wal-mart. My boyfriend, who I weally, weally like :3 has applied to college in Syracuse NY, Albany NY, and Charlotte NC.

Now, I make 9.70 an hour (average pay is around $900 to $1000 a month), and I don't have a car yet (or even a permit).

Now, he'll be going to college in june/july, and I'm not sure what I should do.

If he goes to Syracuse, that's not *terribly* far away, and I could just get a car and visit him as often as I can.

If he goes to Albany... that's twice as far from me as Syracuse is, so if I manage to visit him, it wouldn't be as often :frowning2:

And if he goes to North Carolina... then unless we're willing to wait for each other until he graduates, then I guess that's that :'(

I was planning on moving to Syracuse or Albany anyway, but will I have the money for my own place on a part-time job? (Assuming I transfer to a different wal-mart).

I'm still not sure what I should do. He an I have chatted since earlier this year, and we hit it off, but we've only decided to "be together" since early august. Maybe this is too early for me even to consider moving somewhere just for him...

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I was planning on moving to Syracuse or Albany anyway, but will I have the money for my own place on a part-time job?

No. But that said, can you possibly up your hours? Or get a second job to supplement the first?

Lex

3. Fiender

The store where I work is very Nazi-ish about overtime. At most, I can work four days a week, *sometimes five*, but even at 5 days a week that's about $1260 a month. Would that be enough for my own place?

EDIT: And about a second job, I just don't know. It's been a heck of a time getting my mom and older sister to fit driving me to work into their schedules with ONE job. Maybe when I get a car? But even then, I already work nights, and that's been pretty draining so far :frowning2:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would it be enough for your own place? Depends on your other bills. It'd probably be enough for a really tiny place, or a decent-sized one with a roommate or two. And I'd suggest the latter. But remember - you're gonna need all the crap that you normally just use at your parents' place. Can you take your bed with you? Pots and pans? Is there a laundry room? Your own computer? Internet connection?

I don't want to pull the grown-up card here, but I'm assuming your longterm goals don't include checking people out at WalMart. Do you have any?

Lex

5. Fiender

Well yeah, I wrote a book and I was hoping to get that published, but it doesn't look as though that will happen anytime soon.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And book publishing rarely means a big fat paycheck. :slight_smile: That's great if you want to pursue writing (and if there's a payday attached, hey, bonus), but as we say, "winning the lottery shouldn't be a budget line item". :slight_smile: There's nothing wrong with sticking it out at WalMart for the time being, but if you're going to want to head out on your own, you'll probably need to max out your hours and/or get a second job to supplement it.

Lex