1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this is how it is... Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by midniteFreakout, Sep 14, 2010.

1. midniteFreakout

Okay, so... this is how it is. Hope I don't ramble too much :rolle: ...I just kinda need to get it out.

Well, I guess I've always felt somewhat different. I would look in the mirror when I was a kid and see a boy, not a girl. I would speak and hear a boy, not a girl. I wanted to play fighting games with the boys, not 'Famillies' with the girls. When I got to about 8, I got really depressed and couldn't figure out why I felt so out of place amongst my friends and family. Then, when I entered Secondary school, I started cutting, blah blah blah downward spiral etc. Things got a bit weird between yr7 and yr9, and my head got a little messed up. Then had a little breakdown around November-ish when my parents went out which ended in me shaving my head. Thats when it all clicked into place. I looked like a guy and I loved it. I tried thinking of myself being a male and it made me feel really happy.
    So by then I pretty much figured out I was trans. My head got a little less messed up, which was nice. It's now been at least a good 10 months, and I don't feel that this is just going to be some sort of phase. I've only told my closest friend whom I feel I can really trust with this, but I would really like to let my other friends and my family know. However, I'm really unsure of how to go about it- after all, I'm still only 14 and feel like people would think it's just hormones, or that I'm too young to decide something like this or could have been somehow influenced by the media and whatnot. I'm also worried about the fact that I'm still in Secondary school, and about people being transphobic and stuff.
    I also have no idea how to come out :dry: I would REEEAALLY appriciate any help or advice :grin: ...and I rambled- I knew I would. Hope I didn't bore you to sleep, and thanks for reading (*hug*)
    ~Matt

2. Elven

Unfortunatly I doubt you will be able to avoid alot of people believing you're not old enough to know yet, which as annoying as it can be is just their own way with dealing with the idea so just give them time. Some people think the same with me and I humor them at the moment so they can think it over.

On coming out as transgender you may well get people who won't understand what it is or what it entails but just try to explain how you feel and your emotions to those you're wanting to come out to and I'm sure the majority of them will accept you for who you are, the ones who won't either will just need time to understand the concept or aren't worth the hassle anyway. In the end it is up to you, it depends on how well you want these people to know you.

#2 Elven, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. peaceandlies

erm... well as a trans, i think its really important to come out. you need hormone replacement therapy, am i right? for that your parents need to know.

i sugest making friends in the lgbt community. although occasionally you can find transphobia there, its considerably less frequent.

4. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC! I'm really glad that you've found this site, because I think talking about this issue will be really helpful to you. Participating here really helped me when I first came out to myself and others - I'm sure it will help you too.

I think what's important to remember is that this is going to be something that is hard for your parents and others around you to understand. Remember that it took you quite a while to figure out what was going on with you - so others are going to need time to come to terms with it too. Having patience will be critical.

Maturity is important too. Talking about it in a rational and mature manner will go a long way towards furthering your cause. Your parents will see you as someone capable of making a decision and understanding the implications of it rather than seeing you as someone who is irrational and doing this to be rebellious.

You might want to bring this up with your parents and explain to them how you're feeling. Don't necessarily make demands for hormone treatments or surgery right away. Just let them know that this is how you're feeling, and that you'd like their support and encouragement along what might be a difficult journey.

But before you get to all that, maybe you want to just hang out here a little more. Get even more comfortable with yourself by hanging out with others in the LGBT community. We're a pretty awesome bunch. Again - welcome!