1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I hide it from him??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Sep 18, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Ok, so pretty much everyone around me knows that I'm gay. Someone that I occasionally see, who I haven't come out to, is my mom's boyfriend's son. He lives with his mom but like once every month he visits for a weekend.

I'm not sure whether or not to be open with him. I probably wouldn't just tell him I'm gay unless it somehow comes into the conversation(like if he asked me who I liked, etc.). One factor that I'm not sure to handle is his dad. I'm out to him and he basically told me that he's ok with it but just not to "bring it around him". I don't know if his dad would be upset if I told his son. I know I could simply ask my mom's boyfriend if it would be ok, but is it right that I ask him?? Or should I not ask him because this is something about me and not him??

I don't think his son would care much about my sexuality. I know in the past he's seemed open minded.

Honestly, I really don't wanna push myself back into the closet, but I'm still unsure of how to go about this.

Any opinions/advice on what I should do would be great.

2. Connor22

yeah dude go for it :slight_smile:

3. foofighter

If hiding it means pushing yourself back in the closet to any degree, I say tell him definitely.

4. Eric

How old is the kid? If he's close to your age, what the hell would his father have to do with it?

I'd definitely tell him. I don't see any harm in doing so.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me I think you should be open with it but don't just go to him and tell him right then. My policy is always "if they ask tell, if they don't then don't worry about it".

6. x2x2x2x2y2

He's my age, but I know my moms boyfriend and there's a high chance that if he finds out I told his son he'll get mad and whine or something stupid like that.

7. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

If it was me, i'd TELL the moms boyfriend that your going to tell his son, and make it clear that its YOUR life, and you dont want to hide who you are around him so you think he should know.

If moms boyfriend has a problem with it, then too bad for him.

8. macktuckapplz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    x2, If you want to be out, then you should be out. If your mom's boyfriend has a problem with it, then it's his fault, not yours. I would suggest telling your mom that you plan to tell him, and make sure she knows how her boyfriend feels about it. Honestly, I don't think it should be a problem, and I hope it works out for you :slight_smile: Good luck!

9. WanderingRabbit

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest subjecting your mom's boyfriend to way more "gayness." It sounds like he could use some more of it in his life.

10. Beachboi92

be completely open if your mom's BF has an issue with it you should tell her as she should be taking your side on the issue simply saying "if who my son is as a person is a problem with you than who you are is a problem with me." If i am reading what you type correctly, and i'd say be as open as you want to be and idc what he sais "bring it around" as much as you want to, it's your life and you live it as you want to, never sacrifice who you are for the sake of someone else being more comfortable with it, if they don't like it fuck em.

11. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

I think it'd be best to let your mom know first. Make sure that she knows it's your choice and your life and that it's not any of her boyfriend's business. As long as you've got her on your side, I feel like you can be as open as you want to be.

Personally, I prefer to not just blurt out "HAY GUESS WHAT I'M GAY" but if the opportunity arises I always support mentioning it casually. So whatever works for you. :slight_smile:

12. MagicalMatt

I guess...I don't see the issue. You're not hiding anything from him by not telling him. Just be yourself around him, and if you're the kind of guy that being yourself might prompt questions, let it happen and don't worry about it.

I see no reason to randomly be like, "Oh hey, btw, I'm gay." Or even to tell your mom or his dad that that's what's going to happen. In fact that shouldn't happen at all, I say.

His dad sounds pretty annoyingly uneducated in saying, "Don't bring it around him," but that's beyond the point.

13. AlyssWonderland

If you're worried, I would talk to your mom and her boyfriend about it first, as a warning or something? I don't see any reason why you should have to hide it from him. Might as well be all the way out!

14. peaceandlies

just tell. it cant really hurt