1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another battle defending our laws

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Sep 27, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well yesterday, petition gatherers got enough signatures (barely) to put our recently passed gay rights laws in Oregon on the Nov '08 ballot. The signatures will be carefully audited to make sure they are all legit. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they didn't get enough after this audit? It's tough having to deal with these people over and over. I have real respect for the people that have been involved for decades because sometimes it does get disheartening. I sent a press release out on behalf of PFLAG Central Oregon yesterday. Here it is:

Most Oregonians support Anti-Discrimination!

Bend, Oregon – Today Restore America and allies submitted a reported 63,000 signatures to the Secretary of State in Salem to place recently passed anti-discrimination and domestic partnerships on the ballot in ’08.

It’s an unfortunate truth that in every community, there will be those who want to divide us. But discrimination is not the Oregon way, and these groups do not represent the views of the majority of Oregonians. In Oregon, we know that everyone should be able to realize their hopes and dreams, take care of loved ones in times of need, and live and work free from the sting of discrimination.

Basic Rights Oregon will be monitoring the signature verification process to ensure that it is fair and accurate. PFLAG works closely with Basic Rights Oregon to secure equal rights for our gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender loved ones. We believe that discrimination should be against the law. Nobody should be fired from their job, evicted from their home, or turned away from a restaurant just because they are gay or lesbian. Rolling back Oregon’s anti-discrimination laws would leave us with an inconsistence patchwork of local ordinances across our state. Discrimination should be against the law no matter where you live in Oregon.

Oregonians support the legal recognition that domestic partnerships provide. This is about committed couples taking care of each other. Domestic partnerships – while not the same as marriage – are civil contracts that give committed couples certain legal rights and responsibilities, including the ability to visit a loved one in the hospital and to make lifesaving medical decisions for a loved one in crisis.

PFLAG members have worked diligently to secure these rights and protections for our families and friends. We need to give our recently passed anti-discrimination laws a chance to work. Becky Groves, who gave testimony before the Oregon Senate on SB2 and is mother to a gay son, pledges “If it turns out that the battle is not over, PFLAG will work diligently to educate Oregon on the importance of these issues so that we receive an overwhelming YES to uphold the laws passed by our Oregon legislature.”

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

you are awesome for what you did

3. Jim1454

You're press release gave me goose bumps Becky! You and your peers are AWESOME. Some people just do'nt get it. There's already been a referendum... leave it alone people!

So keep up the good work! We're all rooting for you here in EC! Win the battle in Oregon and keep up the charge south and east until you arrive in Key West! We're trying to be a good example from north of the border!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes you are Jim! I'm so proud of your successes in Canada. We'll get there. Slow but sure. :slight_smile:

5. You are so awesome at life Becky. That was great!

6. Sam

Sam

wow great work! I really do wish that all across the U.S. we could have equal rights PERMANENTLY. By not giving us equal rights its saying that we don't deserve to be happy and thats not right at all. If we had more people like you fighting for us then we might achieve the rights we deserve. I want you to know that we all appreciate what you and other people like you do for us.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are welcome. I LOVE what I do. :slight_smile:

8. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Good for Oregon!