1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he too young for me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsMyBoyfriend, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Well i'm going out with this amazing guy but he's 13 and i'm 15.
    Is he too young for me?

2. pirateninja

I think the only reason he seems young is because at this point of life, two years younger seems a lot younger. I personally don't think it matters, but that's just my opinion.

3. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    people usually go through huge changes between 13-16, so a 13-year-old who hasn't entered puberty yet might look much younger than a 15-year-old, but 2 years isn't really that much...so the answer is: don't worry be happy :lol:

4. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Be careful, but 2 years really isnt that big a difference

5. Jerr

It wouldn't be if he was 15 and you were 17 but SO much changes withing those two years that you might want to wait...

Plus the legality of the thing seems a bit... yeah... (Well... I don't know the laws there but here your situation wouldn't be the most legal of the sorts)

6. Hydrogen

I simply do not go by age, I have friends who are in their 30's and are more immature than I am...

How old does he act, is he stable, etc. At 13, lots of things are more then likely just starting to change, Only you know if it is right to continue the relationship.

And as far as legality of the situation, I don't know about where you live, but where I live the age of consent is 16, however, the law also says that same gender sex is illegal period, so the age of consent would not matter...

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think the main issue would be the legal one when you reach 16 (the age of consent for gay sex in the UK) and he is under-age at 14. If you fall out he could claim you raped or assaulted him and you could be a listed sex offender for the rest of your life. :frowning2:

Apart from that, it's mainly down to maturity and character. If he is mature for his age (acts and thinks older than his years) then it could be OK, but if he is still a kid then maybe not.

8. Jerr

You gotta remember... he will be going through a lot of changes. Emotional changes will be a part of that.

Best to wait.

9. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    where are you from? :cry:

10. Hydrogen

Also at that age... Parents still have a huge influence, what are they like, are they accepting of the relationship?

They could claim rape, even if he does not, and you would be in trouble.. So consider everything.

11. Hydrogen

The hell hole known as Alabama ..

12. Jerr

Oh nice. lol Well I believe Oral is illegal in Arkansas... no one cares. haha

13. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know that there were states in the US where same gender sex is still illegal...wow, that's ....:rolleyes:

and I'm also rethinking my previous point of view....considering that he's only 13, there could me numerous legal implications in case something doesn't work out...and Paul's right about the age of consent...

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, that's a very good point. Probably more likely than him doing so....

15. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Don't do anything sexually with him. In a lot of states in America, gay sex is a crime. They call it sodimy or some bullshit like that. Anyway, just be careful.

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do know about Lawrence v. Texas, right?

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The original poster is listed as in the UK, so if I know my age of consent laws for the UK (which I should given that I wrote a paper on them recently), it's illegal for both of them, so technically either one of them (or their parents) could press charges, yes?

Anyway... obviously 13yos and 15yos get with each other all the time and people aren't always being labelled "dangerous sex offenders" (plus I'm pretty sure as minors that wouldn't be a lifetime thing even in the unlikely event it did happen). So really the question becomes: what's the situation?

Anyway, if thenedoftime is okay with their respective ages, and the guy he's seeing is too, then really it just becomes a case of how their relationship plays out. Anyway, it's worth knowing that people could freak out but I think it's also worth pointing out that it's not guaranteed to happen.

A situation like this illustrates why age of consent laws need to be a lot more nuanced. In Canada, the situation wouldn't be illegal, because people who are 12 or 13 can legally have sex with people up to 2 years older than them. In the UK, it's just a plain cutoff of 16 and over is fine, under-16 is illegal. And in the US it just varies by state, as I believe it does in Australia, too.

18. paul7836

Love knows no boundaries, but i wouldn't try anything until you are both old enough to consent. If its a non-sexual relationship you want, then by all means go ahead.

19. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

No don't worry my relationship isn't sexual and he's quite mature(still has his moments but who doesn't) so it should be fine and he's 14 4 months before i'm 16.

20. Ty

Ty Guest

Is he developed, physically and maturaly, because if the former isnt true then it may seem like a massive difference, but if not, it really doesn't matter...wish i could find a guy that easy :confused: