1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel like I'm being pushed on all sides...(School)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

My extended family, who I have been politely telling to leave me alone for months on end (I see them a lot)
    My friends are bugging me to make a decision on what to do with my life.
    My mom only talks about it when I bring it up, which is fine, and she isnt the problem at all.
    Its everyone else.

I feel like They're all pushing me to make a decision on what I want to do with my life, when in reality I don't want to go anywhere. I want to move out, which is happening in about 9-11 months, I want space to work on my books, which I'm unable to do very well at this point in time because I don't have a minute to myself when my mom is home.

I love her, I love my brothers and stuff, but the second I close my bedroom door to get to work, its practically an invitation for interruptions, so I get nothing done.

I'm not relying on my books-in-progress for moneymaking. I'm doing it because it's what i love and it will make little difference to me if i make one dollar off them or a million dollars.

What I'm asking is, how can I get everyone to lay off and let me do what I want? I feel so frustrated because I just want to stay at Chapters and be a bookseller, and for my friends and family that doesnt seem to be good enough for them :frowning2:

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, parents always want big things for their kids. They are only trying to look out for you, but you know that already so I won't dwell on it.

There is nothing wrong with tell everyone to back off and let you breath. The idea that you're on some kind of stop watch counter to decide what you want to do with your life is common perspective, but a wrong one. Just tell everyone that you know they are looking out for you, but it is your life and theirs. YOU have to live it they can't do it for you. All this smothering is driving you crazy, and if their not careful it will drive you away.

Also you can tell them writing IS what you want to do, but it never gets done will all the disruptions. Have you tried haning a sign on the door.
    "Writing do not disturb!"

It could help

3. MusicIsLife

Thanks :slight_smile: Actually my mom really is being good about this, she's supportive where I need it, but she doesn't push. Its everyone else who's the problem. But I'll try the patient "Please lay off" tactic once more.

As for the "Do not disturb" sign, it doesn't work. I've tried it before and the result is my brother and mom running at my door, knocking loudly and running off -_- This is part of the reason why i do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) because they know that If i'm disturbed in any way during the month of november heads will roll.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if worse comes to worse you said you're moving out a few months. Ride it out

5. peaceandlies

well, family might leave you alone if you came out to them. i dont know if you have or not, though. friends, tell them your making their decision, and you were glad to hear their opinion, and you have taken it into account and would now like to make the decision and you dont need anymore help to do it