1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a friend, and I don't think he got the point.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Trailblazer, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Trailblazer

So, was talking on MSN and he changed the conversation pretty abrupt to:

D says:
    this might be random, but i bet being gay would be pretty convenient
    main reason being; You are what youre attracted to. How cool is that?
    depending on how self absorbed you are you wouldnt have to go farther than a mirror to find something to masturbate to
    M says:
    well, i'm not finding it convenient at all.. lol
    D says:
    then your a pessimist
    M says:
    optimism is lame lol
    D says:
    then you hate gays
    M says:
    never said that lol
    D says:
    lol i know
    there are bad parts to being gay, like having to tell your dad, but if penises get you off and you have one, thats gotta be nice. same goes for lesbians too.

I know he can't be that oblivious, but ugh.. I was litterally shaking when i typed it, and to get little question for response bothers me..

2. Smile

Ugh, I really hate it when people ask if you turn yourself on. It is just silly in my opinion.

Yet, I can see how they would come up with idea, heck, if I wasn't gay I would probably have asked at least someone if it were true.

Personally, I don't get turned on by myself, I have seen myself in an attractive way but that is no different to anyone else thinking they look good.

I think your friend was only talking in a joking way, best not to take it too seriously.

3. Trailblazer

Well, we continued talking, and he took it the best I could imagine..
    Continued from where left off..

M says:
    but theres also the issue of just dealing with it in general, its looked down upon by alot of people, and people who knew you before hand will most likely treat you different if its not just common info from the get-go
    this conversation changed from robots to sexuality pretty quick lol
    the starcraft patch doesn't come out til 1pm here
    D says:
    i guess dealing with being gay wouldnt be too cool, but its a personal decision and you shouldnt really let yourself be let down by people who oppose your lifestyle
    i dunno, i bet admitting youre gay is kind of like admitting you like fat chicks, but i wouldnt know ive only done one
    M says:
    well, this is litterally the first time i've ever mentioned it. so i would really like you to keep it extremely personal. and i hope it changes nothing between us
    D says:
    what?
    M says:
    i've kinda been basing everything i said off my personal situation, and you probably can't understand how bad i wanna die right now..
    D says:
    so you're saying youre gay?
    M says:
    i'd rather not come out and say it, but i really hope it changes nothing between us..
    D says:
    nah, just totally unexpected
    M says:
    well, its not something i like to admit, it prettymuch killed me just to bring it up
    D says:
    ya, that can be tough
    im not very open about what i like either
    M says:
    really rather you not talk to anyone about it though, since i'm finally admitting it to myself, you just gave me a perfect opportunity to do it
    D says:
    ya, what are the chances
    i wont tell anyone, thats not my thing to tell
    M says:
    thanks

4. x2x2x2x2y2

Sounds like he took it really well. He probably thought you were joking. Congrats!!

#4 x2x2x2x2y2, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. Smile

He does seem sort of ignorant to a few aspects of homosexuality. He implies that it is a choice and compares liking the same sex to liking 'fat chicks' but apart from that he seems to have taken it rather well.

I am not sure if you want to, basing on your dislike for talking about the subject, but you may want to get a few facts right with him next time he says something along those lines. Some people really take it to heart and should he say it to another gay person, they may do any number of things in retaliation.

So far so good though. Could have gone at lot worse.

6. x2x2x2x2y2

I actually think he's right in comparing being gay and liking "fat chicks". I mean both are not by choice, nor are both 'the normal'. Although, of course, admitting you're gay is a bigger deal then admitting to liking "fat chicks". lol

As for him thinking that being gay is a choice, well yeah, that's just ignorant.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, congratulations on coming out!

It does look like he might be labouring under a couple of misconceptions, but that doesn't need to be a bad thing (you can't blame straight guys for not being experts on being gay). The important thing is that he seems to be taking it in stride!

I think it would be good to talk to him more about it, or at least being open if he wants to talk about it. No need to bring it up specifically if you don't want to, but acting as if it's no big deal will ease your mind into being out, even if it's just to one guy!

Once more: congrats on finding the courage to tell him! :thumbsup:

8. peaceandlies

yey. well done. people do have a habit of totally not picking up on hints fro over a year. i know from experience by trying to get people to actually ask me if i was gay or not, because i was to screwed up to even admit it. im better now though

9. Alex19

yea i think ur friend is pretty cool. he sounds like a really understanding guy

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He actually has a point. Think about straight guys. When they get horny, they're thinking breasts. But to jack off...they've got to give a guy a hand job. Sure, it's their OWN dick they're stroking, but still. But with gay guys, we're usually thinking dicks...and I'll be damned, there's a dick sitting there waiting for you! :slight_smile:

Lex

11. AlyssWonderland

I'm glad he's okay with it! Hopefully you'll be able to help him become a little less ignorant as you talk to him though...

12. mwhp13

mwhp13 Guest

He sounds a little ignorant, I agree, but at least he took it well once he knew you were completely serious. So anyways...congratz on being out :slight_smile:

13. Trailblazer

Well we're from an area where theres not really any gay people, so everyones got their facts messed up about us.. But I can't stop thinking now that I shouldn't have said anything.. I feel like shit, I haven't eaten or feel like eating, my stomach feels like its collapsing, I just feel like life isn't worth living. I know he's understanding but I don't think I'm ready for anyone to know, it sort of just came out.. Not sure what to do now..

14. knight of ni

I felt the same way when I came out to somebody else for the first time. I shook like a leaf, and then cried for an hour when I got home again. My first thought, as soon as I calmed down a bit, was that I had just ruined my life.
    So what you're going through isn't unusual, and as for what to do now... you don't have to do anything else. Telling the first other person is a big step; and its one that you've taken. Your friend seems to have taken it well. So double congratulations, on taking a big step, and on it going well. Sleep on it tonight, and you'll wake up feeling better tomorrow. Maybe not loads better, but a bit. It takes a while to adjust to being out, even to one person. But I promise that you will get used to it.

Again, well done on telling him! Its a brave thing to do. (*hug*)

15. Trailblazer

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm sure everything will be fine, I just gotta relax, I overthink things too much.

16. Dr Acula

The first time I came out to someone we chatted for about 45 minutes in my room, just about how long I'd known, whether I was bothered by the banter (it was quite homoerotic) around our uni halls etc. He was, and still is, one of the most supportive people I've known, but after telling him, I cried too - I couldn't believe what I'd just done.

What I'm trying to say is it's perfectly natural to be worried after you tell someone for the first time.

17. Trailblazer

I've been talking to him for a few hours now, and nothing of the subject has came up. It's litterally been what we usually talk about, nothing has changed. It's really a relief, considering he actually has enough respect to not bring it up, since I did say "really rather you not talk to anyone about it though, since i'm finally admitting it to myself" and that I didn't want anything to change between us. I just wanted someone to know, I'm able to eat now, too. :slight_smile:

Thanks alot for the support and reassurance over the past 24 hours. It was alot rougher on me than I expected. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: