1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To a Team

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by konfused612, Sep 27, 2007.

1. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've started the coming out process, and at the moment I've told a grand total of 6 people in person. They've all been very supportive, and it's been amazing. Anyway, at this point in time I'm ready to publicly come out.

I'm a college student. I am also a member of the Ultimate Frisbee team here, and quite a few of my friends are on the team. I would really like to come out to the team as a whole. I'm just not yet sure how.

Has anyone out there come out to a team? Or does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this? Or does anyone have recommendations in general about publicly coming out?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Louise

Sorry, can't really help but I'm with you anyway.

One idea, maybe if some of your friends who already know are with you, you might feel less vunerable?

Good luck:thumbsup:

3. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

all I know is that one guy that was on our football team came out and the majority of the team wanted him off so he was removed from the team.It could always be different for you,just watch yourself!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is sad! If I was his mother I would have pitched a fit, but you know me. :icon_bigg

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

I would suggest reading some books written by gay athletes. Learn from their experiences and then maybe you can make a more informed decision on whether this is the right thing to do. Here is what I came up with:

http://www.outsports.com/entertainment/booksnf.htm

6. katmando

In all honesty I think it depends on what sport you play. I think you would be fine telling the people that you play frisbee with.

I came out to my running group on a message board they have. Does your team have a message forum. I know sometimes leagues do. I felt safer telling people on there

I tried to access the board to show you some of the responses, but they just revamped the site, so I do not have access to my old posts. But from what I remember here were some of the things people said.

-Justin, I can understand your concern, but I do not know anyone in our group that would care

-I can understand how hard it is to share this, and it took a lot of courage. Don't worry about it. I now understand your taste in music

-We are so glad you are a part of our running group

-Justin, all this group requires is that you enjoy running. Youy sexuality does not matter

Justin, I agree with what other members here said.

Then one came up to me in the group and said Justin, its all cool!

As long as you are a nice person that's all people care about. That's all that matters.

7. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the responses.

I am almost positive people on the team won't have a problem with it. One of the people I've told in person is our captain (and he's fine with it). I've also had many conversations about gay rights and gay issues with a number of my teammates (which is an interesting conversation to have while trying not to out yourself) which has shown me that they'll be cool with it. It's one of the reasons I love the team so much; they've been so supportive of it with out even knowing about my sexuality. Also there is a lesbian on the woman's team. Her sexuality seems to make no difference what so every.

So I know that they won't have a problem with it. It's more the plan of action for coming out publicly to them that I'm trying to figure out. I intend to talk to Erica (the lesbian on the women's team) about it and get her two cents. At the same time I'm interested in what ya'll have to say.

My tentative plan is to tell the captain I'm out to that I'd like to tell the team, and just have a brief meeting where I come out before practice. But that tentative.

Thanks again for the advice.