1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where To Find The Right Person

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pdg1958, Jan 9, 2006.

1. pdg1958

I am a person who is looking in all the wrong places to find the man of my dreams besides the bar scene, the dating services, and on-line dating. What other sources are there to find a right person to settle down with in later in your life like being in your late 40's.

I do need some suggestions in looking in the right places to find that special person to have a meaningful relationship with at this present time period. I am very tired of being alone and very much on the shy and quiet side.

I am also very new to this site here at empty closets.

Thanks

Paul Greenberg:icon_eek:

2. drhladnjak

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

Get involved in some sort of volunteer organization. Especially if this is GLBT related (i.e., HIV/AIDS stuff or political groups), you'll (hopefully) be meeting people who are interested in generously contributing their time to a good cause.

If you're at all religious, consider attending a glbt-affirmative church. I have a couple older friends who have met a lot other older gay men who aren't into the bar scene. UCC (United Church of Christ) and MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) are two kinds of churches that typically have many gay members, although there are often congregations of more mainline churches that have a large gay contingent in certain cities (even in the Catholic church which takes a very firm stand against homosexuality).

Join some sort of activity group that's glbt related. Many places have everything from hiking groups to square dancing groups to bridge groups for other glbt folks to get to know one another. Google can be a big help in finding what's in your area.

3. Micah

Following on from what drhladnjak said, it seems obvious, but meeting people through other people is effective way. You don't have to get your friends to set you up, just get introduced. If you get along well then there might be a chance for more.

What's even better about meeting guys through friends is that you can usually check to see if the guy comes with your friends 'seal of approval' :lol:

4. mattyboo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im going to give you some help=]
    a year ago, i was talking to my friend about this kind of thing.
    and we are no longer friends but she did give me some helpful tips
    here are a few of them:
    1. don't look for love, love will find you
    - she said that the more you look for love the less you will find.
    2. sit back and relax don't stress
    - i know that at this time in the late 40's it seems kind of far, but finding your man might not take as long if you have fun. do things you love to do and this works with #1

i dont know if any of this will be of any help, but i just thought i would try to at least help you a lil bit.
    =]

5. pirateninja

Good advice.... but check the date.

6. kosmik44

kosmik44 Guest

be yourself think posotive and it will come to you