1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting "Outed"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Frer3, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Frer3

I got outed today on the school bus when a kid overheard me talking about a project of mine with a close friend. He took offense at an Adam and Steve reference, and immediately questioned my sexuality. He was definitely one of those bigot kids, but as soon as the answer was forced out of me, I felt... better. Is it weird to feel good after being outed?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It gets the weight off. "Coming out" is generally something to get beyond. Once you're beyond that, you're beyond the uncertainty. You might still run into some mean-spirited or ignorant comments, but you won't have to work on hiding anything. Just keep owning it. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. asp3310

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you mean. Sometimes when I tell my friends (or even people I don't know) I like guys, I feel like I can truly be myself around them, which makes me feel good!

4. Frer3

I know about that feeling, but is it supposed to feel good when you are outed by somebody else? It's wierd. This kid who outed me is a total hater. He's a bible-beating bitch who thinks that being gay is a choice. He told me today that I should choose to be straight. Why would being outed by him feel so good?

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I said, "coming out" is something to get beyond. It doesn't matter if you get to the other side by climbing over, tunneling under, or going around. You're on the other side of it now. And there might be a bit of extra pride in the fact that you didn't back down from one of the biggest homophobes in school. "I know what I am. What I am is gay. And I'm just sorry you'll never get to experience it." :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Frer3

Thanks, Lex! *hugs*

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome. Now go represent Gay Colorado. :slight_smile:

Lex