1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to tell my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confused102188, Oct 5, 2010.

1. confused102188

Did anyone else here feel an extreem need to come out to your parents. About two months ago I came out to a few friends and now I feel like my parents need to know. I guess I cant feel comfortable without them knowing. My home life has not been that great because I feel soooo closeted in my own home. I don't want to wait until I have a boyfriend to tell them because I'm afraid that they may initially hate him or blame him and I cant have that. I need them to have time to let it sink in. I have the letter already written to them but now I'm to afraid to give it to them!

Thanks for ANY advice!!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not much advice to give, since you know where you stand, and you know what your next move is. I'll wish you confidence instead. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. biisme

Like Lex said, you know what you want to do. The issue is doing it. If you want them to have time to let it sink in, give them the letter and simply leave your house for a little while. The great thing about a letter is that you can plan out how you want everything to sound beforehand, and then you can have them read it, and you don't need to be in the presence of them while they are reading it. If you're really nervous you could even leave the letter where you know they will find it (on their car seat, near the coffee pot etc) and not even hand it to them in person.

In the end, I wish you good luck!!! (*hug*)

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the others said, the final hurdle is yours to take. And we can only wish you good luck.

However, there's one tip I can give, and that is to make your plan explicit. as long as it's just between you, a letter, and your wish to do it someday, things won't budge. It's just too easy to keep saying "oh, another day, perhaps".

But there's ways around that. If you set a date and time, inform your friends about it (ask them to wish you luck), make a thread about it here (saying: "Tomorrow, at 9AM, I will come out. Look for a reply here!), you have a nice push in the back! And it becomes harder to back out at the last moment. Or at least, that's what I did, and it helped a lot (see thread here for how I did it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

In any case, you've already come a long way. So best of luck! :thumbsup:

5. confused102188

hey guys thank you for your feedback! I have the letter I wrote to them in the dash board of my truck for now. When the time is right I will know... till then I will keep you posted. Good idea on the setting a date btw. I will set one after my birthday on Oct. 21

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    go get 'em :thumbsup:

7. EM68

good luck! Let us know what happens.