1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell if a guy is gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danny19, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Danny19

ok so im getting kind of tired of being alone. My friend wants to go triple dating, the only problem is im the only one without a date. There are plenty of very cute guys at my college. And i just wanna find someone. I just dont know how to tell if a guy is gay. Im into the manly guys. I can tell when a guy is gay when they are flamboyant. but im just not into that. Like last time i was looking at this guy and then he looked at me and smiled, i didnt know the guy but he was cute. My friend said that he was probably gay, but i didnt wanna make a move unless i knew for sure

so i want to know if u guys know how i can tell if a guy is gay??

thanks for any tips

2. x2x2x2x2y2

Well unless they're wearing some type of rainbow shirt or jewelry, you probably wouldn't be able to tell. If your school has a lgbt club/center, you could find guys there.

3. ArabMan

In my case, there is my gaydar that's powerful, it's all in the look and the smile while looking. You just know it. There is also bringing up relationships, talking about bf/gf and seing how the person reacts to this topic by asking him personal question on his last/current relationship, "innocently". You can ask common friends. You can ask him, do you like men. I can think of many other ways, but there always is a way :slight_smile:

4. lostinthought9

That's a really great question. When you figure it out, lemme know, okay? :slight_smile:

No, seriously though, I know how feel. I like the manly men too, and it's so freakin hard to tell if they're gay or not. (espicially when we tend to overthink things)

Good luck though. :slight_smile:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always liked this condundrum. "I'm looking for a gay guy, but I don't like femmy guys. In short, if you can tell he's gay, I'm not interested." Geez, no wonder guys stay in the closet - apparently, once you're out, everybody loses interest. :grin:

I kid.

Whatever you do, I certainly wouldn't find a guy just to fill the requirements of this "triple date". That's pretty much putting the cart way before the horse. Instead, focus on getting to know more people. Especially more gay people. Yes, even the femmy guys, because the femmy guys will be more likely to know the non-femmy gay guys. And who knows - you might end up clicking with one of the femmy guys, after all. Your school probably has a gay student union - maybe you should stop by.

Lex

6. Danny19

thanks everyone...

Lex i like what you said first made me giggle.. haha.. I want to join that, but i feel like my family will find out faster. But i will try and give it a chance. Because i dont just want to meet someone for thr triple date, i want to meet someone because im tired of being alone. I want to cuddle with someone you know? So i will try to see the LGBT center at my school. Its gonna be pretty big next week since its the National Coming Out Week and i have seen many rainbow posters with that on it.

7. mwhp13

mwhp13 Guest

Danny, I feel your pain :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm a pretty masculine guy, and it's ridiculously hard for me to tell when someone's gay. The only way I've ever gotten any reaction in my "gaydar" is when I look at someone and they make eye contact and smile. I'm guessing it's something you get used to over time, so for now good luck with your search :slight_smile:

8. Danny19

Well mwhp13 its hard.. haha. Does that really hit your gaydar? My friends say that too. There are guys that when i look at them they just look away or they are serious. But there are other guys that i have never seen and smile at me when i look at them. And when my friends see that they say that they r probably gay, and i just take it as a nice gesture and i hope they r the ones who r right..haha

9. Celestial

Celestial Guest

You: "Hey man, do you like to suck dick?"

10. Pendrin2020

I dig the femmy guys. I dig the manly ones too.

It all comes down to whether or not he's willing to change a tire. Lol. Some of the most rustic outdoorsy guys I know, talk with a lisp.

I think it all comes down to getting ''out'' and meeting people. I didn't come out to hide in the back of my social circle. Lol. I did that for a while but it wasn't very fun.

There's lots of good advice above this post. Give some of it a shot. There's not a while lot to lose here.

Good luck.

11. Holmes

Do you have any siblings or family in college? Even if you do, I'd imagine the LGBT Society in college is quiet enough, it's not as they'd have their meetings at a table in the canteen next to a big rainbow flag. It's fairly normal in college to make new friends (particularly if you're a freshman, just going by your age), and for not all of your old friends or family to get to meet them straight away.

12. Bryan90

Like I always say - there is no "absolute" correlation on a person's sexual orientation and his/her behaviour or actions. You might sometimes get some hints such as anything LGBT related like buttons, etc; but when it comes to actions, it's extremely hard to tell based on how "feminine" or how "masculine" a person is. Asking is the best way. :slight_smile:

Though, you're at a college at Los Angeles, does it have a GLBT club or something like that? That's usually one of the best ways to meet lgbt-identified individuals. And also, if your college doesn't have it, I am sure there are support groups or communities around that caters to LGBT-identified teens trying to find a space to meet each other.

13. RedKnight

I would defiantly say watch their eyes and see what people that they are looking at. I like to think that is the only thing that tells people about my sexual preference.

14. Fiorino

Here's my take on it:

-Stop complaining that you haven't found the right guy.

Do something!

You're at a college:

- Join your school's gay rights group or other gay association.

It's a great way to meet other gay people and maybe even make some friends.

-Maybe go to a gay (night) club? Maybe one that is frequented by students?
    Don't go by yourself, but go with some friends, it will be fun!

Personally, I avoided taking my own advice my first year of college, but I just went to
    a gay club for the first time and had tons of fun! Don't go expecting to find someone, just go to have fun, but you never know what could happen. I also joined our gay rights group and have made a lot of really cool friends and have even met a guy or two who was interested in me. You'll never know what you're missing if you don't try!

-As far as being able to tell if guys are gay, befriend them and just be open about your sexuality. Find a way to let it casually slip that you're gay, and if they are THAT into you they will get the hint.
    Chances are they will be straight though(90% of guys are) but it's still worth a shot, right?

Hope my advice helped, I'm sure things will work out! (*hug*)

15. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I heard an Interesting scientific article, that it is all in the walk, most Gay men have a different walk to straight men and it is the same for women, for men: do there hips move more fluid and move his arms more. if so there is a good chance he is, but it is not 100% accurate. or ask.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5260214_tell-guy-gay-walking.html

16. Danny19

Fiorino your right. This week is National Coming Out week, and my school is doing a lot of stuff on it. Today there was a little fair and i found some cute guys, and im guessing they were gay. I felt good but weird walking through there. I even got a condom haha. And ive been planning on joing the LGBT community with a friend.

British Lad, i saw that last time too, i even saw the video. i guess the gay man walked almost the same as the straight woman, and the lesbian woman walked kinda like the straight man. i never actually noticed. except friend told me last time that gay guys "switch" haha, but i dont do that.

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I always try to walk straight haha.. but I end up walking like a wierdo. . .

And the straight acting gays walk straight.

18. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ugh, I don't trust gay people's gaydar. Every gay person I know who claims to have it will just say every person you ask them about is gay - heterosexuality just doesn't seem to compute.

19. RaRa

If they're trying too hard to appear masculine; they're probably gay.

That's my observation. :grin:

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh honey, if there was a sure-fire way of telling who was gay, we'd all have boyfriends and girlfriends by now probably...