1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUGH I feel like I blew it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 7, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So I met this girl online, and we got talking. She was really sweet, and from what I saw of her pictures, totally hot.

When I met her in real life, she was just as sweet, cute, and as she was from our back and fourth messages online.

However, in her pictures whatever camera she had been using washed out her skin colour and so in her pictures she looked Caucasian, but in real life her skin was a lot darker.

Do not get me wrong here, its not a bad thing that shes Lebanese, it just caught me off guard. I tried to casually ask her what her heritage was, but it came out sounding a lot more ignorant than I meant it to be.

She's still talking to me, which I see as a good thing, but to those who have ever been in an interracial relationship, whats the best way to not sound like a moron again? I mean, apart from completely avoiding the subject. :bang:

2. starfish

I'm the gay Jeff Murdoch.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSnlADrbyY[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkOmaSXlmI&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

I used to worry about it, but then I realized. I'm always saying stupid stuff. That's just who I am. So if that puts you off, better that we know about it up front.

So try not to sweat it.

#2 starfish, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Tell her she has a beautiful skin-color then ask what nationality she is.

4. Chandra

Be open about it the next time you talk to her. Tell her that you're worried she took offense to your question, but that you didn't mean anything by it, you were just curious and wanted to get to know more about her. Mentioning that you think she's attractive can't hurt either. :slight_smile:

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't think you blew it if she is still talking to you.

I think the best way to come at this is to just tell her you don't want to offend her, but you've got questions that might sound a little ignorant. If anything you ask makes her uncomfortable tell her you'll drop it. then ask away.

I've found the best way to tacle this situation is just to lay all your cards on the table.