1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving home - New Housemates!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gumtree, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Gumtree

Just thought I would get your opinion on something that's been bugging me.

Within the next 6 weeks I'll be making the big sea change from High school and living at home (in regional Australia) to the big city and Uni (early next year).

My question is:

Since a lot of the accommodation within the city is organised very casually with no legitimizing documentation etc, I would largely be at the mercy of the land/rent-lord.

Do you think, since I would have a lack of 'legal rights', it would be important to inform the inmates of my sexuality prior to making any agreements, and ensuring their comfortable with the situation?

NOTE: I don't mean this in a derogatory manner, but I am definitely not a stereotypical gay. Unless I give reason for suspicion; no one would question my sexuality.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm that's unfortunate there is no legitimizing documents, I've found entering into a place without a lease isn't exactly the best thing. Though at the same time it's not the worse....I wish you luck my friend. As for what to do about revealing, I really have no advice regarding that.

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't see any harm in telling them and making sure everything is fine with them.

It seems to be something that quite a few people on here (and elsewhere) worry about when moving into new accommodation, such as a university campus, so I think it would be good to make sure everything is cool in advance before you commit yourself to anything. You don't really want to be living in a place where people give you shit, so I think bringing it up sounds like a good idea if it will give you some peace of mind.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There seems to be two extreme types of roommates. There's the bestest buddies kind, and there's the "we share living quarters but nothing else" type. Most end up being somewhere between the two, though. If, when you meet them, they appear to be more of the friendly chatty sort, then sure - let them know. If they're more like "OK, you'll be living here, whatever", then I don't think there's any need to let them know in advance.

Lex

5. Bryan90

You might want to double check on your 'legal rights'. Under common law (seeing that you're from Australia), although a formal contract might not be signed, verbal contracts count too; so if the landlord ever does something unreasonable and goes against his/her words, you might want to challenge him/her to that.

Though I am no lawyer and only have a limited knowledge about this. So take me with a grain of salt, only as an encouragement to check it out in case anything bad happens.