1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vulnerable...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Idk what to do... I feel hopeless and helpless... like I have been trying to deal with some depression issues... and last week I had a really low point and thought that maybe I could turn to my mom for someone to talk to... and no I was wrong... I called her and she told me "I dont understand why you called me, maybe if you were a better son, I would be more tempted to help you, but you're not so you can deal with whatever you are going through on your own." and I just hung up the phone and literally sat outside in a secluded place and cried for over an hour... and since then I have felt terrible and like I am nothing... but Idk what to do... like I put on a fake happy face when I am around people and stuff but have these cries for help and stuff on facebook and it just goes unnoticed and no one says anything or tries to help me. But I cant work up the courage to actually talk to someone... and idk... I just feel terrible and like I am nothing... and not even my own mother wants anything to do with me...

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The real lesson to be learned from last week isn't that you're worthless. It's that your mother is worthless when it comes to looking for sympathy or advice. And that you need to find some place else when you need advice and solace. EC is always an option, even if we're a virtual one. But you probably might need one IRL as well. If you're still in school, your school counselor would probably be a good bet.

And don't keep going back to your mother hoping for support or advice. That well appears to be utterly tapped. Sucks, but there it is. Hopefully, we can pick up the slack. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

I concur with what Lex is saying: your mother is obviously not there to help. That doesn't mean you're worthless. It just means she's having issues of her own to confront.

Don't be disappointed that cries for help on facebook fall on deaf ears. Unfortunately, online isa place where exaggeration is the norm. So they might be misinterpreting the seriousness of your situation.

That leaves you with getting help in real life. I'd seriously urge you to see a councilor at uni, or a campus doctor. Depression really is just a condition like the flu. You wouldn't have any difficulty searching out a doctor if you're physically feeling bad, and that's really no different from talking to a councilor when you're feeling bad mentally. So drop everything you're oing right now, and make an appointment or go there and talk!

Also, keeping a happy face among friends is good when you're not really feeling bad. If you are really feeling bad, it is acceptable to drop the mask and ask them for input. Friends are not only there for good days!

And there's also us, of course. You can vent a bit here, or send a PM to any staff member you like, if you want to talk.

Don't panic. Depression is bad, but with some help, it's perfectly surmountable!

(*hug*)

4. gaius

gaius Guest

i had a bad time last year at university and turned to a lecturer who i trusted, this may be an option for you if there is one you can trust. Failing this there is always Ec although replies aren't gonna be fast so have a little patience. If you wanna talk just post on my wall

5. Well I already went out to the counseling center at my university, but honestly they didnt really have anything for me, like all I could do was schedule an appointment with a counselor and my appt. isnt for another 2 weeks... and I needed someone to talk to then, and yeah I need someone in real life.... but all of my friends are taking really hard courses so they are always busy and it just feels like I have no one really to turn to... and lately I have also felt very unwanted... like my mom rejected me just like that without even batting an eye, and my friends aren't really friends because they arent ever there for me, they are only there when its convinient for them... and I just feel alone...

6. gaius

gaius Guest

I think you should maybe give yourself some time out, grab a coffee and read a good book, go for a drink, treat yourself to something you want. And perhaps in the mean time book an appointment? then at least you can cheer up a bit until you get the problem solved

7. Bryan90

Hey hey. Don't know if this will be effective for you (since dealing with depression is different for individuals), but if you can't find someone to talk to in real life, maybe you can try to find them online. Well you're already here on empty closets, and I'm sure if you post your issues on the support forum, people will respond to them and talk to you about it.

You can also try Youth Helplines or something like that depending on the region you're in.

And I guess feeling alone is quite a common issue and not always the easiest issue to deal with. That's also partly the reason why communities have put effort into raising so many resources in helping to deal with this issue - helplines, support groups, online forums, etc. And I guess it also takes a lot of strength and resilience to deal with it.

So anyway, hope you'll be able to find an outlet to express yourself! all the best!