1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over Passionate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dare2bProud

I really love my job, but I feel like my passion is wrong perceived by others. I'm always excited when I receive a new script, when my other co-workers just groan. I'm always excited to go to a new school and hotel, when my other co-worker just groan. I'm see myself doing this job for awhile, when my other co-workers only just want to do it for a season or two and go find something else. They tell me there's no future in it, wonder why I can be so excited about the touring company and that I need to stop "defining" myself based on the company i'm with. I've also been accused of being too passionate about the job. Too passionate? Is there such a thing?! This is my dream job and others have threw a dagger at me about this being my dream.

I am on a four month break off the road, back home with my parents and old friends. I have been trying to enjoy it, because I don't know when I will ever get a four month break again! The owner of the company really likes me, its just my immediate supervisors that don't seem to want to be there. Whenever I call her and ask her something, she gets surprised that I haven't already been told. She was also surprised that this four month break of mine, I didn't agree to and that they made me take it. She told me that they told her I wanted the time off, when I didn't. I feel like I have turned into a tattle tale, indirectly. My immediate supervisors and I were friends when I was on the road, but I have barely talked to them in the last month and a half i've been off. I'm starting to feel awful about the situations and reconsidering if I should go back and fulfill my new contract in January. I love what I do. Perhaps I just need to be a little selfish, stop caring what others think and do what I need to do?! What do you think?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Selfish" might be too strong a word. Just accept (and be happy) that your attitude is different from theirs. It's presumably a superior attitude, but I wouldn't lord it over them. Just be pleasantly happy.

For instance, say a new script comes in. You say "Cool", and everyone else groans. Somebody says "How can you be happy about another script?" Just shrug and say "I dunno. I still find it neat to get a new script. Maybe it'll burn off eventually, but I'm gonna take advantage of the enthusiasm while I've got it." Say it pleasantly with a smile, and they'll presumably let you be.

Or when you go to a new hotel or school, just make a bit of a joke at your own expense. "Yep, D2BP is gonna go his never-been-to-this-school tour, as always." "And yes, after checking in, I WILL be wandering around finding the pool, the exercise room, and the business center. :slight_smile:"

Lex