1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinking of facebook-coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Oct 11, 2010.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My facebook has said "interested in: men" for a while but it was never in my news feed so no one saw it. So my plan was to remove it and put it back so it would come up in the news feed. I did that just now, but then I got scared and immediately removed it from the news feed. It's still there on my page but no one will know to look there unless they happened to be checking for those 2 seconds before I removed the update.

I want to do it again and leave it this time.

Anyway,
    1) Is this a good idea?
    2) How do I get less nervous and just do it

Also I'd like people to see it but I think it'll be really embarrassing if tons of people start "liking" it and leaving comments and stuff. Maybe I should try to disable that.

2. Grey Knight

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some one told me that you can't remove things from the news feed, I don't know if this is true.

Honestly, whether or not it is a good idea all depends on how you think you will feel if everyone knows after. Will you feel more comfortable doing it this way? How many people on your facebook do not already know? How many of them are close friends? Before you post it on facebook tell your closest friends. They, strange as it sounds, deserve to find out from you not facebook. I am sure many people will agree with me on this.

I still have to take this step but I have been psyching myself out. I have however changed my relationship status to show that I am currently dating a, great, guy. I plan on adding to my interests, one way I have been calming myself down is repeating to myself that if someone says something I have the power to break all electronic contact with them. Physical contact is another story, another thing I did was clean up my friends list so that only people who really were friends are there now.

I suggest you clean up your friends list, calm down and realize that if they say anything you have the power to block them. You can also set it so only certain friends can see your interests. Also, for the most part people get so many new updates on their news feed that it is likely that your interest change will be buried in the flood.

It can be a good idea, I will get back to you if I ever do it, you will probably feel better about it once it has been up for a while and no one says anything.

Best of luck to you, I hope things turn out well, good luck, I hope I was some help.

3. Frer3

I personally do not like coming out over Facebook. You don't know who's seen it unless they comment or like. This can lead to confusion among you and your friends. This is just my take. I'm sure that several people have had success with Facebook outings, but I would not recommend it.