1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother thinks its a choice to be gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by factwithinfiction, Oct 12, 2010.

1. factwithinfiction

He thinks that because gansters choose to be gansters, that people who are drug dealers choose that way that homosexuals choose that lifestyle. He thinks that the people I surround myself with make me that way.

I don't wanna hear sympathy but I just wanna know for sure that he's wrong. Because when I tell him that he hasn't viewed things like a homosexual has he again goes back to the gangster and says that he never viewed things like a gangster for example.

Oh and he also believes that adoption is wrong because God's will made it so that woman can be blessed with that baby no matter what. The woman is wrong for putting the child up for adoption because they're basically giving up on the baby.

Please tell me I'm not off my high horse to believe that these are ignorant statements.

#1 factwithinfiction, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. AlyssWonderland

That is definitely ignorance, my friend. Don't you worry. Did he choose to be straight? No. Did you choose to be male? No. And to the adoption statement, there's also that big thing called RAPE, I dont think people would want to keep the baby after that for the most part...

3. factwithinfiction

But he says that because God wanted her to be blessed with a baby she should keep it and giving it up is wrong.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really. I didn't realize it was wrong for a child to be given a good home >_> What about said drug dealers or druggie mothers. Would your brother say that God wants the child to be raised in a druggie environment? Ask him that. I'd like to hear his opinion.

As for the gay thing, it's not a choice, ask him if he chose not to be hated, discriminated, and have a chance of being hurt for who he loves.

5. Shevanel

He doesn't know what God wants. or what any of His intentions are. No one truly does.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This :slight_smile:

7. factwithinfiction

I tell him that about the gay thing and he still believes that its a choice. He believes I woke up one day and said "Hey! I'm gay!" That when I was five and noticed that I was different that I just wasn't being taught well. He believes that because I never had a strong male influence or guy friends that I was made that way but when I tell him that men with male friends and a good father can still be gay he acknowledges it.

Apparently being gay to him is not the same as having your skin color, as having your hair color or any of that. To him you grow up to be gay and you can make the decision to become straight if you wanted to.

8. Shevanel

If he continues with HIS CHOSEN ignorance, then I say fuck him. (Figuratively of course).

9. Darkwing65

Wait, i'm having trouble following his logic. Are people governed by free choice, or gods will. If it is gods will for someone to have a child, then isn't then gods will not to give them a child. If everything was created by and is governed by god, than how can one go against god. Free will was given by god. Therefore, is not anything so chosen by an individual, god's will?

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2010 at 05:03 PM ----------

He's your brother. Didn't you both basically have the same up bringing?

10. factwithinfiction

Well we came from different fathers. He's my brother but in reality he's my half brother. He was always close to his father and to my mom while my dad left my life and never really was close to me. Sorry, I should've been more specific.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's actually correct up to a point.

If he's talking "lifestyle". As choosing a mode of dress, and who to hang out with, and activities to engage in. Gay guys who wear A&F and go out clubbing don't do that because "they were born that way". They do it because they want to. However, they're attracted to guys because they're born that way. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. x2x2x2x2y2

My advice: STOP LISTENING TO WHAT YOUR BROTHER SAYS!!!!!!

...I don't know why I did all caps. Maybe to make it more effective??...

13. factwithinfiction

Yeah I believe all that stuff is a choice too. I choose not to wear A&F, who to hang out with, all that stuff is my choice. But he believes that guys and girls choose to like the same sex. We choose to be gay or straight.

This is my first real exposure to the issue which is why I want to learn more about this subject of choice and why people use that as a reason why Homosexuality is not an issue of civil rights.

And no, I don't listen to his advise. Like he's given me any in my lifetime anyway :dry:

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>To him you grow up to be gay and you can make the decision to become straight if you wanted to.

Cool. In that case, tell him to be gay. And I don't mean kick his voice up an octave and mince around the room. Tell him to go find guys attractive, date several, and have sex with a couple. I mean, he can do it - it's a choice.

Lex

15. Bryan90

being attracted to men is probably out of your control, but other than the lifestyle choice, choosing to be with men is a choice too. Some gays do indeed choose to be with women for all sorts of reason.

but nobody said that we shouldn't choose to be happyy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then if it's a strong male influence you didn't have then tell him to blame himself and your father because if your father left, it was up to him to be the strong male influence and going by his logic, it's his fault.